Got myself a mustang...

BuickNick

Nov 24, 2005
Hello everybody!
Got a good deal on a 94 GT. It's an auto, which is pretty lame. This thing is GUTLESS. Engine is stock except for flowmasters. It's my daily driver, I want to get it mid 14's... for now anyway. Engine wise, what am I lookin at to get this running that? I plan on pulling the motor in the spring for a rebuild, it's got 107k on it, and the last kid that owned it didn't take care of it at all. I've got a set of stock 351 heads that are on a 302 I have in the garage. So plan on using those with a good port/polish. I'm on a budjet so nothing crazy. Will chip, cam, those heads, air intake get it in the mid 14's? Intake manifolds are expensive, so I'm hoping to stay stock for now.
I'm gonna do a shift kit soon and a ratchet shifter. How bad are 3.73's on the highway with overdrive? mileage?

stang2.jpg

Attachments

• stang2.jpg
    stang2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

WELCOME TO :SNSign:

Nice looking car, man. I don't know many that use those kind of heads ..... so I can't help you there. From what I can catch ..... the guys on here are saying 4.10's are better for the automatics. Since it's a DD, I don't know ..... it's totally up to you.

Welcome to SN....
I agree, they're pathetic powerwise when stock. not exactly what you were expecting......Your plan will have it running more like a GT should...
On the intake, since you'll have it torn down for those heads, send the lower out for porting...its a major bottleneck on these motors...Look up Tmoss in the search....Best 115.00 you'll spend if your plan is to keep that factory intake....It'll do wonders for breathing....

BuickNick said:
Hello everybody!
Got a good deal on a 94 GT. It's an auto, which is pretty lame. This thing is GUTLESS. Engine is stock except for flowmasters. It's my daily driver, I want to get it mid 14's... for now anyway. Engine wise, what am I lookin at to get this running that? I plan on pulling the motor in the spring for a rebuild, it's got 107k on it, and the last kid that owned it didn't take care of it at all. I've got a set of stock 351 heads that are on a 302 I have in the garage. So plan on using those with a good port/polish. I'm on a budjet so nothing crazy. Will chip, cam, those heads, air intake get it in the mid 14's? Intake manifolds are expensive, so I'm hoping to stay stock for now.
I'm gonna do a shift kit soon and a ratchet shifter. How bad are 3.73's on the highway with overdrive? mileage?

Welcome to our forum and congrats on getting the Stang :banana:

Yes ... A stock auto is sooooooo slow :(

It will get quicker with some mods :nice:

Here are a few of my thoughts :D

You will have a better than 90% chance of throwing your money away on a chip if you are talking about one of those ... off the shelf chips.
Hold off on a chip until you get a good bit more air flow going for you.
Then at that time ... Pro tune it with a chip or Self Tune it with a Tuner!

The mod that will make the biggest difference for sure is ... GEARS!
I'd go for a ratio of no less that 373's and most auto boys go 410's.

Get rid of the stock 4 cat mid pipe.

A home made cai is a nice gain for the buck spent :D

Pulleys will give a nice gain for the buck spent.

At this time a tb or maf is not gonna give you any gain.

An ignition will give no or tiny gain so don't waste $$$ there :nono:

Roller Rockers is one of those mods that I think is way, way over rated.
Not enough gain for the buck spent.

Now about the trans ...........................

I saw the comment you made about the car being an auto :fuss:

A tc & shift kit will make it so much better :nice:

however

NOTHING you do to it will make the car drive like a stick trans car :bang:

Having said that ... before you spend any money on the trans ... decide about moving to a T-5 or keeping the auto.

Grady

Welcome to :SNSign:

First thing is to change gears to 4.10's. You won't regret it. Next, I would add an o/r h or x pipe...you alraedy have the flowmasters. I would then replace the intake or as suggested get the stock one ported. I would leave the cam alone for now.

because it's a aode you should have 3.27's.

get a converter and a shiftkit from Edge Racing. 3000 stall feels awesome.

3.73's are ok if you plan on alot of highway.

pulleys was a great mod that i really felt.

if your looking for a cheap "only buy once" intake, look into the professional products typhoon. i bought one for $240 canadian almost brand new with injectors, fuel rails, hiring harness etc.

i'm also interested in what wheels those are. i like them

RIO5.0 said:
..Look up Tmoss in the search....Best 115.00 you'll spend if your plan is to keep that factory intake....It'll do wonders for breathing....

Thank you, Andy - Nick, take some time to look over my website and you'll get lots of info on intakes - not just ported stock lowers. Be sure tp make it into the photo section for results and dynos.

94GTLaserRC said:
If that Mustang is your daily driver, I would not start modding it except for gears, exhaust, and maybe a CAI.

Welcome to SN.!!
RC

Have to disagree on the CAI part RC - it's almost as much as porting services (on any lower) and won't give the same hit for the buck. The stock CAI with a K&N is good to over 300HP - Steeda had that recommendation on their site for years.

After owning both an aod (87gt) and the 5 spd in the 95, I would recommend either swapping out your auto for a stick, or get a stall, shift kit, and 4.10's, or 3.73 if its a daily driver. For the intake, you could also try to get a used cobra , even new cobra's aren't that expensive, and pulleys.

tmoss said:
Have to disagree on the CAI part RC - it's almost as much as porting services (on any lower) and won't give the same hit for the buck. The stock CAI with a K&N is good to over 300HP - Steeda had that recommendation on their site for years.
I think you misunderstood my reason for suggesting it...NOT because of "bang for the buck". I was referring to mods that dont get too involved that are gonna start requiring taking the motor apart or harming fuel economy in a DD. The homemade CAI will help a little, costs very little, and fits the forementioned reasons.

RC