Got RPM II intake! now what Heads?

nazstang

Mar 26, 2004
Rhode Island
hey guys, i've got myself some research ahead of me, i was hoping for suggestions. i finally got an intake, i just got an Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake (brand new for 1\2 price!), and now i'm on the lookout for what heads i should get to go along with them. aluminum heads are ideal (60 lbs off the nose would be nice), but i'm not exactly Bill Gates, so $$ is a bit of an issue. i don't mind buying used, and 7-800 is probably the max. any ideas???

also, anyone else got the RPM II? what are your impressions on it? thanks fellas

• Sponsors (?)

to make full use of the rpm happy manifold you just bought you will need some heads that make some serious flow. Many, many people on this board have gone with afr 165's and a good cam and gotten into the 290-310 rwhp range (with supporting mods). But with a 1300 price tag they're not cheap. IMHO any other heads (without port work, which costs $$$) will not make the most of your rpm II. Maybe you could find some used ones but they seem to stay in pretty high demand, so they can be hard to find.

I'm on a tight budget myself but heads are something that you only want to have to buy once. Save up and get the good stuff. Thats my plan.

modusmortis: c'mon, youve been reading too much info from people who dont know what they are talking about. you dont need 165s for those heads. max rpm is gonna be 6500 (computer will shut it down at 6250), so your gonna need something like the RPM head or TFS TW heads. they can be picked up, used, to fit his price range. will they give him the "peak" hp numbers the 165s will? no. but will they produce throughout the entire RPM range? yes.

I have the RPM II, and its pretty nice. I have it matched to a set of TFS T/W 185 CNC heads, currently looking for a cam to match. And as soon as i get my new head gasket on there, all will be right with the world again.

When I was doing my engine research I called a few engine builders who had a lot of 302 experience and when I asked what combo to get (intake, heads, cam), all of them said RPM II intake, AFR 185, and a custom grind. But all of those would have costed me about $1,000 more than what I paid for my TFS stuff which I really like.

thanks alot guys, keep it comming.

the afr's would be great, but they are pretty hard to get a deal on. my friend's got TW Rseries, AMAZING power, but too much$$, unless i find used.
basically, i would get the heads from the classified's or ebay. i did see some edelbrock performer 2.02 heads (and it's local), they've got my attention, but i'm just not sure. more ideas would be great:)

nazstang said:
hey guys, i've got myself some research ahead of me, i was hoping for suggestions. i finally got an intake, i just got an Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake (brand new for 1\2 price!), and now i'm on the lookout for what heads i should get to go along with them. aluminum heads are ideal (60 lbs off the nose would be nice), but i'm not exactly Bill Gates, so $$ is a bit of an issue. i don't mind buying used, and 7-800 is probably the max. any ideas???

also, anyone else got the RPM II? what are your impressions on it? thanks fellas

With a budget of 700-800 bucks, you're not going to get into any decent aluminum head unless it's used.

To beat a dead horse... Without all the details on your combo, you're just asking people to pick lottery numbers for you...

Ed

I may be wrong but with the edelbrock 2.02 you might have to notch your pistons. TFS is a great bang for the buck and still has really good potential with some porting. You can always get some performer heads too. Not sure why but it is always nice to have everything from the same company too.
Kevin

i think your right kevin, the pistons need to be notched. crap!

With a budget of 700-800 bucks, you're not going to get into any decent aluminum head unless it's used.

To beat a dead horse... Without all the details on your combo, you're just asking people to pick lottery numbers for you...

Ed
i totally understand Ed. i'm just trying to see what you guys have seen out there, that's proven to work well.
My setup as of now is basically a stock longblock with a B-cam right now(i will get a new cam when setup is complete, i live 5 min. from Ed Curtis). 24lb injectors, 77mm pro-m, full exhaust,.... and all the regular goodies. this car is basically just for strip duty, rare street miles(just the normal joy rides).