Got slicks ... now I'm scared...

ricgt88

Founding Member
Jun 4, 1999
Quebec, Canada
I was able to get my hands on a set slicks to lower my 60'.
I was getting inconsistent 2.2 to 2.5 60' on street tires so I thought slicks would help.

But now people are trying to convince me not to use them. They say the rear end is gonna blow up and that I should upgrade it. wtf? Is the 8.8 rear end THAT weak ?

As you can see in the sig, the car is an heavy a$$ AOD convertible lightly modified (intake/exhaust).

Guys (and girls), I need your help in rebuilding my confidence in the strenght of the rear end before I go on and upgrade the damn thing.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think they will be a problem. Juding from your mods you are not putting that much power to the ground and you have a stock AOD. I don't think launching will be a problem.

When the time comes to beef up the trans and such, it's the axles you should worry about.

If anything goes, it'll be your diff in the rear end, which unless you've rebuilt or replaced it since it's not listed in your sig, is probably due for some TLC anyways. I've also heard of people screwing up their torque boxes, especially if there's any rust in that area.

Do yourself a favor and install a driveshaft loop before you bolt up those slicks. Its not just for safety (and preventing the D.S. from tearing the bottom of your car in case of a u-joint failute) but most tracks won't let you run slicks without a driveshaft loop. I say let 'er rip with those slicks! 8.8's are tough and can withstand many, many launches on slicks.

Use at your own risk... BUT

I run slicks on a bone stock 130,000 mile rear end, and the car has not had one issue. I had to redo the Traction loc last season but thats it. Car has been being run on this rear for about 4 years now, with a sticky tire at least 75% of those passes. I dont see an AOD car with mild mods hurting a rear end, as my stick car with mild mods never did!

Dude,dont sweat it, you will have no problems.You dont have enough HP to do any damage! ( neither do I ) My motor is stock.I have 410's with a 2800 stall speed converter.The only thing I did was installing some torque box reinforcements! If your gonna run slicks,your torque box will get fatigued after a while.Just have some installed and be done with it.

ricgt88 said:
I going to pick them up on monday and going to try them next weekend at the track.

Hope everything stays in place :D
Before Mike Keirstead got his 5.0 carb,he was running mid 12's doing 5 grand hole shots with ET- Streets and a stock rear with gears.But he did go through 3 tranny's :rlaugh:

80mm c&l for 30s i have edelbrock heads,systemax intake, 75mm throtle body and spacer, and 1inch intake spacer,255lph holley pump,dss dish pistons,no ac,no ps,no smog pump,electric water pump drive,1 3/4 mac long tube headers, and a vortech s trim and fmu, s-trim not bolted on yet and a built c-4 with a 8inch ptc converter and pro stick shifter AND ALL THE MSD GOODIES

You dont want to slam any auto into gear at high RPM. To launch at 4800 with an auto you need a smaller diameter and modified torque converter. This is called a stall converter. Basically it allows you to power break to a higher RPM. When you let go of the brake, it creates a sort of spring affect and will launch the car with force.

Basically it slips more, but it will eventually catch up and almost match the motor speed. The magic of the torque converter. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

You can get a stall converter for your AOD and out of the hole, it would make a big difference. A non lockup stall converter (like in a c4, c6 and some AOD converters) generate a lot of heat esp when stalled. A large tranny cooler is mandatory.