gt40p in a 66'

bigarchie

Jan 17, 2004
i just bought a set a gt40p heads without really researching them (stupid) just from what i heard they were an improvement over stock, but now im finding out that they may not fit and i may need special headers, has anyone used these heads and will they work in my 66? any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

not only will the p's require other headers but athey also have bigger cc chambers than your 66 289 heads which will lower your compression.i believe 289 heads are 53cc's - 55cc's and the new heads are 64 cc's.

lower compression=lower horspower and torque

They are good heads and a nice bump up in performance over stock. If you can live with the special headers they should be fine. Otherwise a set of regular GT-40's are really the same thing. Also, you can mill the heads down to 54cc's with no problem for about $100 to get the compression to where you want it.

The GT heads aren't as good as other aluminum performance heads, but are a great value and should net you a good 20-30 hp over the stock ones.

I have the World heads that are basically the same head. I had them milled also to keep the compression up. I finally had to bite the bullet and buy the ceramic Powertrain headers that are made to fit these babies and all is now good in Mustang land. :flag: