Fox Harmonic balancer questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

That frpp replacement is JUNK last one I saw didn’t even have timing marks and rubber was already seperating

Powerbond PB1084ss . Made by gates . Sfi approved . No hubs or adapters needed for the crank pulley . Timing marks are laser etched
This is why I like the innovators west balancer; the numbers are engraved on it.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_1100.JPG

RockAuto
Dayco PB1084ST $96.99

Does one outweigh the other because the engine isn't internally balanced?

No, it's something else. Woody at FordStrokers told me all about it. There are two types of harmonic vibrations, and the elastomer dampens the more prevelent one in an SBF better. That's why I went back with an elastomer one. The Pioneer one is a basic elastomer balancer with an SFI approved lock ring. I think it's worth the money. So much cheap stuff out there now, I don't think I would trust an Anchor brand or something like that.

Kurt

I'm the third here to say that unless you're going to go through a total rebuild, and then rev the piss out of the engine, a good replacement stock balancer is all you'll need. There will be no magic bullet benefit from spending 400 bucks on a race balancer.
I have a 100 dollar SBF balancer on the monster, and it certainly goes beyond the pale with regard to mix and matched recip assembly and routinely gets spun much higher than stock rpm....it seems to do its job just fine.

Are you sure it’s the balancer? My first fox had some bearings blow out of the fan clutch. The vibration it caused had me thinking some real bad things had happened.
I happened to just spin the fan while looking around and saw it wobbling. New fan clutch..... all problems solved.

The balancer is wobbling, the fan seems to be working just fine. I just ordered a balancer from Summit about an hour ago, it's the PB1084SS. Hopefully it resolves the issue.

Stock balancer is all you need. I replaced mine with a ford balancer and I twist up my crap to the limit damn near every time I get the chance. No issues.
Dayco PB1084SS PowerBond Race …
PB1084SS-PowerBond...
Mar 23, 2017 · This product is designed to bring all the advantages of bonded balancers to high revving and high horsepower street/race applications where an SFI approved balancer is required.
You spent too much money for a stock engine. Don't get caught up in the hype, the first sentence says it all.

no but it's three times more than what you need. I'm just one not to spend money on pretty stuff that is over kill. It's your money, your car and I'm positive it will serve you well for many miles, and I will admit it does look really good. :nice:

I'm going to agree with the OP on this one. $161 is definitely not breaking the bank, and I am dubious of what you get for $53 these days. Just my opinion.

Now, for installation, don't do what we all did back in the day, and hammer that bitch in with an impact gun. I did that for many years, and it finally went bad on me. I was carefully re threading an $800 crank shaft. You really want to put that thing on with a harmonic balancer installation tool. It's a free rental at Advance Auto Parts ($119 deposit). I know that number because I put one on this morning. The tool is not perfect. You will need some sort of extension pipe to go behind the thrust bearing on it, and the center of the damper so that you can reach the turn bolt with a 1 and 1/4" wrench. I found that two races from the input/output shaft bearing from a T5, and a pilot bearing missing the rollers works perfectly. You are probably not going to have to those exact items laying around, but you will need something. Things go a lot smoother if the balancer is big, and the crank is small. You want everything to slide together like sloppy seconds. I like to heat up my balancer in the kitchen oven at 290 degrees for 40 minutes before I attempt to install it.

Kurt