head upgrade

jghood13

Oct 2, 2003
NY
I am losing compression on my #4 cylinder, my car has only 65000 miles if I do not need rings and I only have to rebuild the heads should I bring them to a machine shop or get a cheap set of heads like d80e or gt40's.

• Sponsors (?)

Its probably a head gasket problem or ring issue. Has the car ever overheated? I also believe burnt valves can cuase a compression problem. Either way you need to remove the heads so id look into a set of GT40s or look around for a used set of aluminum heads. Good luck!

I do not know for sure if the car has overheated the temp gauge does not work I did miss 4th and slamed it into second once and it rained out anti freeze and the belt flew off so you guess on what could be wrong would help

you can get GT40 Irons for 500 no problem I see them for that all the time.. I bougt a set of TFS heads while back for 600$ although they needed a valve job/guides. I just dont see the problem being valves or Rings as the motor doesnt have many miles on it. My guess would be head gasket do to overheating or detonation. My 95 over heated twice on me both time related to the fan wich I finally had the recall done and fixed my problems. Id just plan on yanking the heads off and looking for the problem. When you get into it you should discover where the leak is... Engine shops can check the valves/guides for any problems.

jghood13 said:
I do not know for sure if the car has overheated the temp gauge does not work I did miss 4th and slamed it into second once and it rained out anti freeze and the belt flew off so you guess on what could be wrong would help

Fix the Temp gauge... that can save your A$$ right there.. guages are VERY important! I would recommend going with some sort of aftermarket guage for monitoring water temp and oil pressure.

To burn a valve, you've got to make serious horsepower with a not so good tune. You don't have anything too serious under the hood, which leads me to believe it's not a burnt valve. Yes, they can cause a loss of compression, but I don't think that's what's wrong in your case. With no compression, you could have an exhaust valve hung open. You could have bent a spring from over revving the car. There could be millions of things wrong.

Joe

if it is not the lower end I will be very happy and in that case I want to to gt40 heads cast iron not sure if that is p's or not and I want to do a cam would an e be ok and will the stock intake be ok intill I get more money

Joes95GT said:
To burn a valve, you've got to make serious horsepower with a not so good tune. You don't have anything too serious under the hood, which leads me to believe it's not a burnt valve. Yes, they can cause a loss of compression, but I don't think that's what's wrong in your case. With no compression, you could have an exhaust valve hung open. You could have bent a spring from over revving the car. There could be millions of things wrong.

Joe

His car is fine he just wants an excuse to get new heads :nice: Its what I did lol :D j/k

jghood13 said:
if it is not the lower end I will be very happy and in that case I want to to gt40 heads cast iron not sure if that is p's or not and I want to do a cam would an e be ok and will the stock intake be ok intill I get more money

They make cast iron GT40 heads that are not the "P" heads. If you can get the regular GT40 Irons do that. E cam isnt a bad cam for a mild setup but you can always look into custom grind and slap an intake on it like a TFS street heat, edelbrock performer or rpm, GT40 or cobra.

jghood13 said:
also I check the compression becouse there is oil on the plug after a day of driving with new plugs everytime I change them

oil on plugs could easily be a bad valve guides or it could even be comign from he upper intake through the pcv valve. Did you run a compression check on all cylinders? If you pull the head off you can normally tell if its the gasket. Is the car missing or running funny?

jghood13 said:
only the #4 and I was losing the compression real fast and there was not enough the has lost power as while but that could be from the plugs being bad

Id yank it down and find your problem... there are ways to pin point the problem with it still assembled but either way it has to be torn down to repair the issue. Get some good head gaskets to go back with. Is the car consuming oil? Have you noticed any new leaks? Bad rings lead to more crank case pressure wich causes seals like front and rear mains to leak.

jghood13 said:
i think the rear main is leaking

Make sure PCV valve is good.. that can also cause rear main leak issues. Well you obviously have a problem somewhere and need to pull it down to find out where. I dont know how much work you do on your own but the only way to learn is to do it your self. There are lots of articles out there to help you through the process and plus you can always turn to us on the forums. The hardest part of it all is the prep work... scraping off that graphite gasket can be a pain :D