Heat...I'm a believer!

3ponyshow

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Las Vegas
I've always heard that heat is the enemy and will reduce power and longevity of any part. Taking this as gospel, I've never questioned it, but also never seen the difference between allowing heat and eliminating it. I've added a tranny cooler for the trans and an aftercooler for the blower. More for protecting my car than for seeing any real performance benefit from doing it.

I was at the track last night and lined up across from a Rouche Stage II with a similar setup to mine. He was dumping ice in his Vortech Aftercooler reservoir to make the water ice cold and suggested I should do the same. My car had been sitting for over an hour and was almost at air temperature so I told himm there was no need. Long story short, I added ice to my reservoir as he did and ran the car for about 30 seconds to get the cold into the system.

Fast forward to the line. I light up my Nitto's as I generally do so they're almost melting. (My burnouts tend to me be more impressve than my actual runs) We launch and I have a perfect reaction time. Unfortunately, I find my self spinning over half way down the track! Sliding all over the place! I ended up with a 14.1 against his 11.8. Totally humiliating for a 12 second car!

It was like driving someone elses car! At 360 rwhp, I have plenty of power and have always hooked well, but this was unbelievable! I have NEVER seen my car produce this kind of power and all I did was lower the temprature. I'm still amazed at the difference.

Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to keep the added power (which apparently, I've always had) on the ground!

• Sponsors (?)

That all makes since to me.

Kinda like on a cold morning with the first start up of the day,all my cars have always seemed alot more quicker and more power.In the winter my cars runs better than in the summer.Texas winter can be 20-30 degrees when the sumer can be 90-100+ of wich makes my car run sluggish and what seems to be a loss of power.
So I can see dumping ice in it would be of some help.

By ditching the nittos for for some BFGs, M/T, etc

That seems to be the general consensus, but that means new rims too. I was kinda hoping for a more practical (okay, cheaper) solution, but hey, if you wanna play, you gotta pay, right?

I know I'll never be happy with a high 12 again knowing its got so much more in it.

That all makes since to me.

Kinda like on a cold morning with the first start up of the day,all my cars have always seemed alot more quicker and more power.In the winter my cars runs better than in the summer.Texas winter can be 20-30 degrees when the sumer can be 90-100+ of wich makes my car run sluggish and what seems to be a loss of power.
So I can see dumping ice in it would be of some help.

Yep, in the summer here it's like a ghost town for the same reason. Between the heat and the altitude, you're giving it away anyway so no one bothers.

BFG G-Force KDW's you can get them like $40 cheaper on tirerack.com the traction is unbelieveable, a little expensive but ur first run on the track will be like puttin money back in ur pocket..... kinda

BFG G-Force KDW's you can get them like $40 cheaper on tirerack.com the traction is unbelieveable, a little expensive but ur first run on the track will be like puttin money back in ur pocket..... kinda

I'm looking at different brands now. Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have known to look at these.

BTW, I'm also looking at rims and would prefer something like Welds. Every site I've seen them on only has 15's but the Rouche that kicked my arse had them on the front also. I thought they were 17's but I guess they were 15's. Unless someone knows different.