Heater Core Question

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I am replacing the heater core in my 90GT with A/C, I've got the old one out and the cover off with the A/C still connected. The cover plate won't go back on properly now, I know if I unhook the A/C I can pull the housing in further and get it back on But I'd prefer not to do that. I am thinking about cutting the cover in half so I can bolt the back half in and then install the heater core, and then seal the cut with some tape. I'm thinking that if I do this and I ever have to replace the heater core again it would keep me from needing to pull the housing out at all, just pull the 2 front screws and front half of cover and be able to swap the core out. Any thoughts on this? I have a Motorcraft Heater core, didn't go with a cheap replacement core because of how much of a P.I.T.A. this job is and plan on keeping the car forever, had it 26 years so far. I might try just cutting the sides to see if I can bend it up enough to get the core in, just so it isn't cut completely in half.

• Sponsors (?)

Man, that sux. I replaced my heater core several years ago and never had any problems getting it back in. 1989 GT. Maybe the years are different with heater box. Mine just slid right in and cap went back on no issues. Maybe had to finagle it a bit. A/C never disconnected. It was a pain with the reach I remember but not too bad.

Yeah definitely use a restricter in the feed side heater hose! If you don't already have one installed of course.

Man, that sux. I replaced my heater core several years ago and never had any problems getting it back in. 1989 GT. Maybe the years are different with heater box. Mine just slid right in and cap went back on no issues. Maybe had to finagle it a bit. A/C never disconnected. It was a pain with the reach I remember but not too bad.

Yeah definitely use a restricter in the feed side heater hose! If you don't already have one installed of course.

I do have a restrictor in the heater hose. It was a PITA because the box would not come out far enough with the A/C connected, maybe if I had just lifted the cover and pulled the core out I might have been able to but I wanted to get the box cleaned out of all the black sealer that was put in OE. With the A/C disconnected it gave me plenty of room, just hope to never do that job again.