Heater core replacement without pulling dash..?

emagdnim

Feb 5, 2003
I have heard several people say in different places its possible to replace the heater core without pulling the dash through the glove compartment if you dont have ac . Has anyone done this or can think of a way it would be possible? Also i just tried to buy a heatercore from ford and its obsolete!! Same with the heater core hoses they dont sell them anymore... are cars sure are getting old fast.

• Sponsors (?)

you can get heater core from AutoZone for like 20 - 30 bux...

i can't comment on the removal, though. i know the older fords, like the Fairmont and Granada have access to it from the glove but can't say the same for the 87+ Stangs

emagdnim said:
I have heard several people say in different places its possible to replace the heater core without pulling the dash through the glove compartment if you dont have ac . Has anyone done this or can think of a way it would be possible? Also i just tried to buy a heatercore from ford and its obsolete!! Same with the heater core hoses they dont sell them anymore... are cars sure are getting old fast.

It's possible, but difficult from what I hear. I believe it involves removing the glove box, and applicable wiring, then cutting the HVAC box open versus dropping back the dash and removing it that way. Personally, having done it by removing the dash, I'd just do it that way. I say this because removing the dash allows several other things to be done, removing the seats = cleaning carpets, vacuuming everything.. removing dash = cleaning up wiring, cleaning up behind dash, locating bad connections, etc.

You can get the heater hoses from AutoZone, but you may have to shorten them a little (I did for some reason,) and if you're daring you can get the heater core there too. Otherwise, PM RandyStinchcomb and see if he can get you a Ford heater-core.

I got my heater core from autozone its still going, and has a lifeime guarantee for 17 dollars. They have the hoses to, mine diddnt need to be truimmed... You mostlikely will have to remove the dash to install the heater core. going through the glove box was only for pre 87 cars and im sure that was a pain in the ass itself.

Give yourself a day, and pull the dash. I did mine years ago when I had a Fox, and it took me a good 8-10 hours, taking my time. That car had enough rattles, so making sure all the screws went back in tight was a major concern of mine. Believe it or not, I lost some rattles after that.

Thanks for the information guys i will just pull the dash , i was just going to get some straight hose and then bend it if possible as we dont have autozone up here and thats all i could find so far. Partsource says go to ford , ford says go to Partsource!

we never used to "pull" the dash,we would just drop the steering column,remove all bolts,nuts and then lean the dash back anout 2 feet and that would give us enough room to get in there and cut open the box and reseal it with silicone.Since it only pays about 7 hours,we were able to do it about 5 hours max and that was non stop working.

I have done this on my 79 Capri three times and my 89 notch once. My record time on the 79 was 5 1/2 hours. First time was like 16 hrs.....

On ac cars you have to remove the dash, or as someone else said, remove all the fasteners and move it back enough to access the heater box.

Someone on corall posted a trick that lets you just remove the rear box top screws and pry the cover up enough to pull and replace the core. Did it on my 89 and it saved a half hour.

Once you have done it, its not that big a deal.

Yes, on a non ac car, like my 82, it takes 30 minutes....

Id be driving my car now if it wasnt for this! , i dont want to risk a new motor on a leaky core that could completely go out on me and with my luck i wouldnt notice the engine temps and seize it up or something. On a better note my car idles like a dream with that cam even though its Speed Density and it pulls hard :)

I live in Canada , where I am there is already frost on the windshield so I need the defrost believe it or not! Also I will not kink the hose like you suggest ill find something like st5150 used. Thanks for the help man.

I was just giving a heads up on the straight hose.. Also the diameter of the hoses differs on each side.. I used the straight hose once well tried too.. It kinked and the hose kept leaking.

do yourself a favor and just pull the dash off. i replaced my h/core a month ago, but i had also ripped off all the excess carpet padding, cleaned up all the wiring with zip ties, sanded rust off the metal dash support, painted and sealed it, cleaned out all the dust in the hvac ducts, and dyed my fading red/grey dash with vinyl paint. no more wires hanging everywhere from the bottom. when you turn your air on you don't want to breathe in rust/dust particles (lol-caught a lung full while sanding). And the paint makes it look brand new.

if it uses the same heater core as the same year t-birds then it's not discontinued.went to get one for my brothers 88 turbo coupe,they said discontinued.i got the ford part number off of the nato site and asked them to run the number.guess what,good number and with my discount it was only $38 for a ford heater core.

I'm gearing up for this heat core re-placement myself. I'll keep the digital camera handy and take pictures all along the way. THen I'll post em when I'm thru with my elapse time, and trouble spots, screw sizes, best approach etc....
stay tuned!
Jack