Hedman 88350 Full headers......

mike78

Apr 11, 2005
I recently developed a exhaust leak, and while its an extreme soultion, why not slap in some headers??:D Now we all know nothing can just be slapped into a II, but these are on ebay, brand new, for less than 150.00 -- Has anyone used these? How much work to get them to actually fit? Thanx for info ? advice, Mike.

• Sponsors (?)

joeythesaint -- any fit issues? Dropped in? Remove engine first? The ones you own, does the pass side have the foward pipe drop and do a 90 degree turn into the collector? thanx, mike

The Hooker Super Comp headers will just about "slap right in there". They just require a dimple to be knocked in where one of the passenger tubes runs close to the strut rod. I had to flatten 2 of the driver's side tubes to clear my clutch fork, but that's just because I was running a T5 bellhousing.

1badII said:
The Hooker Super Comp headers will just about "slap right in there". They just require a dimple to be knocked in where one of the passenger tubes runs close to the strut rod. I had to flatten 2 of the driver's side tubes to clear my clutch fork, but that's just because I was running a T5 bellhousing.
Sorry to hijack, but please elaborate. I plan on running the Hooker Super Comps as well as a T-5. Do you have any pictures or other information about how you made it work?

The Hedmanns come in 4 or 5 pieces; I believe it's 2 pieces PS, 2 or 3 pieces DS. You don't have to pull the engine. The PS forward pipe runs under the front brace but some people on here have modified it to run on top. It took some deft hammer work to make the allen wrench fit on a couple of the pipes -- it uses allen head bolts. Nothing too tough, it just takes patience. HUGE difference in power once I put them on. My engine loves them. At that time I just had an Edelbrock 625 but it really opened the motor up.

I've heard good things about the Hookers, too, but at the time the Hookers were more expensive.

dmoody said:
I didn't have to do any modifications to my Hooker Super Comp headers. I know of several others who have installed them. This is the first time I've ever heard of anybody having to dimple them to clear the strut rod.

d
Are you using a T5 crossmember?

Camshaft78 said:
Are you using a T5 crossmember?

Yes and I could see someone having trouble with the headers and/or dual exhaust if they only had the single hump crossmember. Perhaps I'm not remembering very well (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought the headers dump into the collectors soon after they pass the strut rods.

As for the original question about the Hedmann headers... I've heard a lot of people hate the way one of the tubes passes underneath the front crossmember. Seeing pictures of it before I bought my headers, I decided to stay away from the Hedmanns.

d

dmoody said:
Yes and I could see someone having trouble with the headers and/or dual exhaust if they only had the single hump crossmember. Perhaps I'm not remembering very well (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought the headers dump into the collectors soon after they pass the strut rods.

d

Oh, man, I totally forgot about that. I had a single-hump crossmember and I ended up reversing it (DS->PS) and cutting a new mounting hole in it with a torch. I believe the hump has to be on the PS to fit the Hedmanns.

Camshaft78 said:
Sorry to hijack, but please elaborate. I plan on running the Hooker Super Comps as well as a T-5. Do you have any pictures or other information about how you made it work?
Sorry, I don't have any pictures, and I have since sold the headers. Nevermind the dimpling to clear the strut rod comment, I was thinking of the headers that were on before it. My T5 bellhousing had the clutch fork coming straight out to the driver's side. The Mustang II bellhousing (from what I've seen) has the cable coming out at a downward angle.