help car has no power

ttavenieriii

Sep 28, 2009
ok i just bought a 88 mustang with the small 2.3 plans are to put a 5.0 into it but untill i rebuild the 5.0 out of my f150 im stuck with this 2.3
its a manual 5 speed and i cant chirp tires or nothing. i put it in gear and it take like 2 miles to hit 40 its stupid. someone help please. no smoke no old leaks full pressure is fine. any ideas i almost feels like i have a bunch of people pushing me. i can put the pedal to the floor and it still barley moves. someone help please

• Sponsors (?)

i found this is this correct? also which way do i turn it to advanced the timing

to advance the timing,

theres a 13mm bolt on the distributor holding it down with a little metal bracket, loosen up the bolt so your able to turn it, when you got that, turn the distributor. i cant remember if you turn it to the left or the right, but get a timing light and point it at the dampner pulley and there should be a white notch with a scale of ATDC 30* and BTDC 10* and see which way it goes, it shas to go ATDC, meaning the notch goes down and not up and remember to pull the spout connector when timing it, and when you have a nice spot time'd right, plug the spout connector back in

HEY!! they do chirp tire (yes singular)!!! but it about dies at the same time LMAO! its better in the rain!

Yep, just gotta drive it like you hate it. Forget to lift when you shift to 2nd, works almost every time. Actually had mine break loose from a ~15mph roll in the rain. Must have been a 2.3 power perfect storm, bad tires, just started to rain & a strong cross wind. :rlaugh:

ok so imma check the timing tomorrow when i can see better but is there anything else that it could be i got some more info for everyone...
when u first start the car up it runs good i could even spin a tire for like 15 foot it was hard beleive me lol but after driving for about ten min the car gets to opperating temp and it runs like ****. i mean u actually have to put the pedel to the floor to climb a hill its stupid.. any thoughts please let me know

Any more details other than "runs like $#!+", like missing, cuts out, black smoke, rotten egg smell from exhaust, gradual or sudden change to no power... Hows the fuel mileage? I'm getting ~20mpg beating the car & driving ~1mi to work so it never really gets warmed up.

ok so imma check the timing tomorrow when i can see better but is there anything else that it could be i got some more info for everyone...
when u first start the car up it runs good i could even spin a tire for like 15 foot it was hard beleive me lol but after driving for about ten min the car gets to opperating temp and it runs like ****. i mean u actually have to put the pedel to the floor to climb a hill its stupid.. any thoughts please let me know
This is a classic symptom of a clogged catalytic
converter.
Once you warm it up, see if the cat gets REALLY hot.
Sometimes the header pipe will get cherry red, if you
run it long enough.

You can also check this with a vacuum gauge if you have one;
the manifold vacuum will be very low and fluctuate at idle.