help me sort this out? a few newb ?s

93GTosu

May 5, 2005
I'm trying very hard to get out of the 14's in the 1/4

it seems that no matter what I do, the car stays in the 14's. I can cut my 60ft down from 2.3-2.0 or 2.1x-1.9x and it'll STILL run very close. I'd think i would see some improvement by getting out of the hole faster???

2 timeslips for example (same bad night, almost back to back runs):
60ft: 2.31
1/4: [email protected]

60ft: 2.03
1/4: [email protected]

I've said before that my car is hard to shift, but even so....Its consistently "hard to shift" from run to run.

I've been sifting for days through old threads and here's a few idea's i've come up with. Tell me if any of these are a likely culprit??

1) My ACT sensor is just laying on my intake as the explorer intake is not tapped for it. I havent gotten around to relocating it to the airbox. I've now read that the ACT adjusts timing and fuel based on air temps. Could my computer be pulling timing or running in "failure mode" because of this?? enough to cause crappy runs?

2) Its possible I dont have my rocker arm geometry correct. I dont know why i say this...there arent any noises to indicate this. Its just a possibility. When i reinstalled the stock rockers i checked pushrod length and torqued everything down to spec. I "could" have done it wrong and have debated rechecking it.

3) A few of my plug wires bumped up on the headers and have a few melt spots on the boots. No wiring is exposed and I dont see any arcing from them though. Should i just replace the damn things? they're from Ford Racing.

other suggestions would be AMAZING. I did a compression test end of last summer and had 135-145 (i think. within 10% i know for sure). no codes last time i checked (couple months....i've been running consistent 14.0s-14.6s forever).

thanks a bunch if you read all that^:D

I know i need to work on driving, but it bugs me that it wont go faster no matter how many times i go down the track.

• Sponsors (?)

oh duh mods from my sig:

1993 GT
5spd
GT40p heads, explorer intake, 65mm TB, 70mm MAF, stock cam, timing 12*?
Mark VIII fan, underdrive pullies, AC+Smog delete
Subframes, Strange shocks/struts, upper and lower rear control arms
3.73s, BFG Drag Radials (from old Nittos)
FRPP P headers, BBK catless X pipe, flowmaster catback

Shifting at 5200ish

and maybe bump the timing.....

btw my stock 88gt ran 14.2 with just street tires. k and n and welded in flowmasters and 3.73's. The car still had stock cats,with et streets it ran 13.8's with no launch, didnt want to break anything.i cut 1.8' with the et's and 2.1-2.2 on street tires

The ACT is critical when calculating fuel ratios and timing curves! Get that fixed ASAP!

i do plan on fixing it as soon as I can. Was I misinformed when i was told the ACT did little? looking through threads it looks like the ACT can throw the car into "limp mode" and pull a bunch of timing if it gets too hot...aka thinking the car is overheating?

the sensor is sitting on the hot intake....you'd think it would get just as hot being threaded into the intake? either way, i plan on moving it to the airbox.

and maybe bump the timing.....

btw my stock 88gt ran 14.2 with just street tires. k and n and welded in flowmasters and 3.73's. The car still had stock cats,with et streets it ran 13.8's with no launch, didnt want to break anything.i cut 1.8' with the et's and 2.1-2.2 on street tires

i'm gonna bump the timing next time at the track, i'll bring my light with me. But how much difference would that make in ET? i feel like i should be running at least 13.5 with my mods. shoot....13.99999 would make my damn day at this point. :(

i know i have tranny problems that need sorted out, but they need to wait awhile to accumulate some more $$$. my thinking is that i'm making every shift...just slow. i should still be seeing some improvement.

throw me the keys ill see what i get

i say strap it on the dyno and make a few pulls see what it makes.

:lol: riiiight

but i was thinking about getting a few pulls out of curiosity. what places do you know around columbus ryan?

99MPH is a little low for your mods. You should be in the 100-103MPH range.

But with that said, you pretty much listed your probs. Fix the ACT, check your resistance values on the plug wires and see if they are all similar. Replace them all if anything is off.

do you think i might be having a problem somewhere else? or is it strictly my ACT and my stock timing holding me back almost a half second to full second??

No. I think most of you problem is in the ACT and timming.

My car with stock heads 1.7RR cobra intake and 70mm tb, and e cam went 8.5's 1/8 mile. I think thats about the same as a low 13 second in the 1/4.