HELP! Need Tips for 4R70W at the track...

RIP 112

Apr 19, 2004
Round Top, Texas
I'm going to the track tonight. I've never intended to run my car, but curiosity has taken over....I never have ran a car at the track, so I need some good tips on how to launch, and what I should do so I don't embarrass myself or wreck, or blow up my engine, or get ahead of myself... I currently have 4:10's, a diablosport predator, flow 40 weld in's, a UPR X-pipe, and a UPR CAI. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :(

• Sponsors (?)

when I raced mine at the track wednesday I put in 1 and then at about 5400 I put in 2 then at 5500 I put in D, that worked the best 4 me, my best 60' were when I didnt stall it at all so just play around and have fun with it and post your times, I ran a 14.6@ 95.75 mph

Ok few pointers off the top of my head for track newbies. Biggest thing I see when newbies hit the track is they don't know how to stage at the light. Make sure when you pull up to the line your going slowly and watch the tree you'll see 2 lights pop up when you get close and 4 when your at the line make sure you don't pass it.

To launch with a auto it depends on your setup you can just mash the gas when you see the green or you can raise your rpms with the car in gear and your foot on the brake to get you into your powerband a bit and then when the green hits let off the brake and feather the gas in so you don't spin you'll get better 60' and 1/4 mile times that way. Other than that I'd recommend letting the computer shift for you unless it's not shifting at the right rpms if that's the cause I'd get a custom tune to resolve it. I'd also invest in a stall converter if your interesting in going to the track more often and wanting to get better times.

OK, first time at the track, let the computer do the shifting for you. Put the car in Drive with traction control and OD off. Make sure your air conditioner if off and windows are up. Drive around the water box, don't let your front tires get in the water. You can back into the water box and spin your tires a revolution or two. Make sure you wait until the guy motions you it's OK. Pull forward, out of the water, and do a small burn out with street tires, only a second or two. Now it's time to stage. Pull up slowly until the top light comes on. Stop and wait for the other car to light his top light. That is called courtesy staging. Now, pull forward until your second light comes on. You are now staged, be ready. As soon as both cars are staged, the tree will come on. There will be three yellow lights followed by a green light. DO NOT wait for the green light. As soon as you see the third light start to light up, hit the gas and release the break at the same time. You'll have to experiment to see how much gas to apply to keep from spinning your tires, but floor it within a second or two. When you get to the finish line, slow down and stay in your lane. There are usually two exits. Try to make the first one, but don't slam on brakes to do it. Never turn in front of the other car. Let the car who is on the same side of the track as the exit, leave the track first. Stop at the booth to get your time slip. Go back to the pits and let your car cool down about 30 minutes and do it again.