HELP, spring install

• Sponsors (?)

I just compressed the spring as much as room would allow and then levered it out with a crowbar. The clamp prevents explosive decompression so there is little danger. Just take your time when working it out, and extra pair of hands helps. Welcome to the woe's of spring installs :D

I have BBK 11/2 lowering springs, I didn't use the spring compresser it was in the way, just take the strut loose so that the a arm swings down free and knock it in there, and then take the floor jack and jack up the a arm until you can bolt every thing back up that's how it worked for me on my 95 cobra and my 91gt.

Beasly B said:
I have BBK 11/2 lowering springs, I didn't use the spring compresser it was in the way, just take the strut loose so that the a arm swings down free and knock it in there, and then take the floor jack and jack up the a arm until you can bolt every thing back up that's how it worked for me on my 95 cobra and my 91gt.
Just did mine today, thats how I did it, worked great, no danger:nice:

efi2fly said:
i cant even get them to go in the spring perches. i have the control arm all the way down. These are eibach drag launch springs not lowering springs.

After riding on 2" h&r race springs for past 4 months I've had my limit of speedbumps, potholes, rubbing, bumper parking scraps, and high waters - floods over roads where i live. So I swapped in the budget drag setup - frnt 4cy springs. But they where a pita when i tried installing the first time and couldn't get'em in. Finally i read a thread someone did this so i tried it too. Since none of us can afford the "appropriate ford" $250 compressor. Get a bunch large & x-large hose clamps. Compressor the spring as much as you can or to the point where you know it will go in. The slap abunch of hose clamps, tight. A few of them will break when you unload the compressor, so watch out. Make sure you put alot on. I had like 15 for one spring. Slide the spring in (kick'em in if you have to persuade them a'lil), jack the a-arm up, and undo them... could just snip'em like i did - faster. BTW this is prob not the safest way, but for $7 in clamps I got'em in.

wazazzle that's an intuitive thing to come up with- similar to what a suspension or performance shop will do, they can compress them and band them with metal bands, same thing, less possibility of all of them breaking and sending razor sharp metal everywhere. just be sure you have MORe than enough hose clamps if you choose to do it that way

some springs are too tall to unbolt the strut and do it that way, so you leave the strut,spindle, all that connected and just undo the a arm bolts that bolt it to the K member (through the bushings) this puts the right angle on it so you can compress the spring with a floor jack. a bit tricky with new bushings to get the bolt holes lined up but a very easy way overall

you don't need a spring compressor. I did mine the "mfe" method. search the corral for further info.

Simply place a jack or two at the back of the a arm, LEAVE THE STRUT BOLTED ON, pull the back bolts out, lower slowly the a arm. leaving the strut on will insure that the a arm does not go flying out and keep the spring in track so it won't fly out. Go ahead and chain the spring to the frame for safety if you wish. I did this method for removal and install. works like a breeze.