Help V6 Car Hi Performance Ideas Of Grandure

Apr 2, 2017
ok so i have my 2.8 here have a good motor being built 9:1 pistons 40+ stage 2 cam redone heads . light weight timing gears offy manifold looking to put the new msd atomic fuel injection . the question is ignition says i need to run a msd ignition box can i do this with the points ignition or does all that have to be changed out and if so what can i use ? also debating 50 shot nos for those just in case moments.?

• Sponsors (?)

ok so i have my 2.8 here have a good motor being built 9:1 pistons 40+ stage 2 cam redone heads . light weight timing gears offy manifold looking to put the new msd atomic fuel injection . the question is ignition says i need to run a msd ignition box can i do this with the points ignition or does all that have to be changed out and if so what can i use ? also debating 50 shot nos for those just in case moments.?
Get something other than the Atomic. If I had it to do over again I'd have Holley or FAST on my car instead.

Pretty sure you can run the MSD with a Duraspark distributor (one with magnetic pickup) but you'll want to verify that. I don't think the MSD will work with an old-fashioned points distributor. I swapped a '76 engine into my '78 and kept the Duraspark from the '78, the distributors are a drop-in replacement in the Cologne v6 (though you'll want the taller / wider cap & rotor setup too -- if I recall correctly there was a bottom half of the distributor cap base that screws onto the housing that you'll want to find too). I think a '77 or '78 distributor will be Duraspark, bolt-on replacement for your points distributor. I imagine a little NOS would give you a nice kick. :) I'm running a custom turbo on my '78 2.8 and it's a little more respectable getting on the highway.

I think this is all you need if you get a Duraspark distributor -- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8869

This link explains what I'm talking about regarding the distributor cap base / different sizes: http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1675473-smaller-cap-needed-tfi-distributor.html

Last edited: