High Mileage 5.0 Oil?

Pepperoni1979

Mar 13, 2004
Hey everyone,

I was curious to see what people use in the 5.0s when they have 90,000 miles or more?

I have a 95 GT that is modded up (275 RWHP 320lb/TQ) and it has about 92,500 miles on it now. The car has had Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (10W/30) since 5,000 miles and has received an oil change every 4000-5500 miles.

Is the synthetic oil good for a higher mileage 5.0 or should I be using the oil made specifically for higher mileage cars?

Thanks,

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

90,000 miles is not my idea of high mileage...

but when your engine starts to show symptoms of age (oil consumption, leaks, hard starts, low oil pressure) then start using Valvoline Max Life oil. 5W30 in the winter, 10W40 in warmer weather and if thicker oil would help then use 20W50 in the summer.

While it does work, that stuff sacrifices engine performance a bit, so if your engine is in good condition stick with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30/10W30. It flows more easily and is slipperier for more power.

Ray III said:
While it does work, that stuff sacrifices engine performance a bit, so if your engine is in good condition stick with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30/10W30.

Can you link to any proof that the "high-mileage" oils sacrifice engine performance? I have a hard time believing that. I'm not trying to argue with you at all, it's just that I DO use Valvoline MaxLife and have been pretty satisfied with it so far. It seemed to decrease the amount of oil my 5.0 uses, but if it is costing me performance then I will consider ditching it.

I've thought about going to Mobil 1 synthetic but I don't want to spring leaks everywhere. I doubt going from one to the other would net you more than a few hp on a dyno. If I switched to Mobil 1 syn. it wouldn't be for the "extra HP," it would be for the added protection.

Thoughts?

Ray III said:
90,000 miles is not my idea of high mileage...

I totally agree. My old engine had 173k and used a little oil, but it ran great.

I just used cheap Chevron 10w-40 or 20w-40 to keep the oil pressure up. I dont put much stock in those so-called "high mileage" oils. If you've been using synthetic so far and all is good, then keep it up.

If you've been running Moble 1, keep running it. 90K is hardly high milege. I run Moble 1 5W30 and have near 150K on mine. No leaks.

I know those high milege types swell seals, and do other things like that. Which of course will help slow down leaks, but what if you swiched back, it might be worse. I don't know what to tell you, but I don't belive in additives like that.

I always throw in a quart of Lucas Oil additive. That stuff is really good for quieting everything down. I'm sure its not the most high performance oil but as long as my engine is running and quiet, i'm happy.

Thanks for insight.

I am going to keep using the Mobil 1 Synth then as it seems to be the best choice I can afford.

As for high mileage, this is my first car (I have had it since it had 5 miles on the ODO) and it has about 2000 miles of Open Track duty under its belt. I am sure the wear and tear is slightly higher than a standard 92,500 mile 5.0 (I could be wrong though).