High pitched squeel coming from wheel well followed by burning smell, PLEASE HELP

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
Got my Cobra back from the tranny shop today after 5 days. I find out theres bits of metal in my rear end fluid. (it whines). So, aside from having an F'ed up rear end, I find ANOTHER nice little problem. (or maybe major?)

When I come to a stop, I will hear this high pitched, shreeking whine coming from the right wheel well. It happens on and off, sometimes at idle too. At idle I will hear a grinding noise, and all of a sudden it will go away and the car will idle normally. The grinding noise almost sounds like a shredded serpintine belt. It will come and go. I checked the belts and they are fine. The grind sounds like its coming from right behind the wheel(s).When I got home, I rolled the car back, and it shreeked like mad. It occasionally whines at low speeds too, in and out. It doesn't matter if my foot is on the brake or not. When I got home, and rolled back to verify where the whale was coming from, I pull the ebrake up, go over to the wheel well, and BOTH smell like burning. Smells horrible, almost like a fried clutch. It's not my clutch though, I freaking hope, becuase I JUST got it replaced. I got a SPEC stage I clutch, lightened Pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, 2nd gear rebuilt, 1/2 synchro's replaced, 5th gear slider, 1-2 slider. The car grinds still while getting put in reverse, but I heard here that it's normal or something.

It sounds like a woman screaming almost. To sum it up in 3 words: grinding/burning/whining. I am soo p!ssed off at my car right now, so far it seems like a big pit of problems. Broken tranny, bad rear end, back clutch, bad throwout bearing, now this. Please help guys. It's a '97 with 46k miles. My Maxima never any of these problems, (matter of fact it had zero problems) and it was boosted with twice the mileage.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Driving home with the new clutch, I also notice that now the clutch pedal is vibrating like mad when im cruising. There is SLIGHT vibrating when i'm out of gear. Hopefully this is normal or something? Gotta take it back in the shop tommorow.

• Sponsors (?)

This is all in wet weather. This is the first time i've driven the stang in the rain since i've got it, and it just started today.

I just took it for another test drive, and I have narrowed it down further. It only squeels when I am coming to a stop, or accelerating from a stop. It sound squeeky from the rain. The burning smell was not there this time, nor the grind. It seems like they are "phantom" problems that come in and out.

The main thing i'm worried about is my clutch. The clutch peddle vibrates like mad.

The beautiful exhaust note is what's keeping me sane right now. :) o/r x-pipe + flows at low RPMs = deep echo'ed gurgle.

mhanna77 said:
Trade it in for another Maxima.

I didn't mean to come off ******ing so to speak, it's just upsetting that these problems are arising. I didn't want another Maxima, I wanted a Cobra. I love the car, it's bad@ss, but try to understand my point of view. I wasn't expecting these problems upgrading to car 2 years newer with half the mileage. I just want to iron all these kinks out so I can enjoy the many positives that have come with owning this Cobra.

mrvax said:
Craig, I'd guess your wheel bearings are shot. Immediate attention required.

They should be cleaned and repacked every 75K. Reminds me to do mine.

Hmm, that makes sense. I went out to get food, and when I got home, pulling into my street, the sound got louder, and squeekier, and yelpier. I guess I won't be driving it to school tommorow, which will be day 6 without it. How long does a wheel bearing swap take, and how much would it cost? Anyways, when I got home, I parked in the driveway, got out and inspected the wheel well and the burnt smell was STRONG. Why would mine be shot at 46k miles though? That seems way too premature from 75k.

And the grinding noise sounds more like a thudding noise. At idle, there is a subtle thumping, and when I push in the clutch pedal just a hair, it goes away. Then sometimes at idle it thuds loud. The clutch pedal is vibrating like mad. New clutch, resurf. fly, rebuilt tranny, what the heak could be causing it??

Oh, and when I brake hard, when I am close to coming to a complete stop, I get a shuddering thud thud thud coming from the wheel well. I guess that is relating to the bearings? Could the thudding of the clutch have anything to do with it?

It seems like my stang is spending more time in the shop then with me, encountering all these problems prematurely.