high rise intake?

• Sponsors (?)

I would assume you mean a carbed intake? I've never heard of an EFI intake being called a high rise before, but obviously some are gonna be taller than others just by design. If it's a carbed intake it's pretty easy to tell since obviously it'll be pretty tall.

Sorry i'm not sure i understand the question...lol.

yes, im talking about carbed intakes. The reason im asking is because ive seen some intakes that say they are "high rise design" and ive heard the term used before, but these intakes dont differ much from any other intake ive seen, Whats so special about them?

yes, im talking about carbed intakes. The reason im asking is because ive seen some intakes that say they are "high rise design" and ive heard the term used before, but these intakes dont differ much from any other intake ive seen, Whats so special about them?

It depends on the design. There's a few reasons an intake might be set up so that it's taller than stock. One is so that the runners of the intake have a straighter shot directly down into the heads. Another is so that they can make the runners fatter to flow more. If you look at the Wieand Stealth, it's a bit higher than stock because the runners are really fat and opened up...they have to be raised up some in order to increase their size, and at the same time it gives a straighter shot into the heads. Then you have single plane intakes like the Edelbrock Victor Jr where the runners are almost literally straight into the heads. You can even go one step beyond that into a tunnel ram intake which are like the old hotrod duel quad intakes where the runners shoot straight down from the carb(s) and into the heads. Lastly a taller intake in most cases is going to give longer runners which will aid in building torque, whereas shorter runners typically aid in higher RPM hp.

If you wanna sum all that up, buy the Stealth for a street/mild race engine, buy a Victor Jr for a nasty stroker race engine. For most cases the Stealth really is the perfect all around intake even for most 347s because it flows great even up to 6500rpm, and you can still port it if you want more flow. You still get the benefit of a duel plane intake so it won't lose bottom end torque like a Victor Jr or other single plane intake would.