How do these dyno #s look for stock setup

Daves88GT

Dec 2, 2006
Austin, TX
Hey new mustang owner here. Just got a 88 GT (looks completely stock) and had it dyno'd out of curiousity to see where it was at before any mods...

Max Power= 183.24 @4200
Max Torque= 267.35 @3200

compression tests were good and motor feels strong but does this seem low for this motor? I see that the car is rated at 225hp new so Im not really sure where I should be at. Sorry for the noob questions. :o

• Sponsors (?)

those #'s are right on par with a bone stock 5.0 car.

The 225 HP rating is a FLYWHEEL rating.. where as the Dyno rating is a Rear Wheel HP rating.. in other words.. thats how much power is actually getting to the wheels.

There is always a power loss from the engine to the wheels as it moves through the drivetrain. An auto tranny will soak up more power than a manual. IE. A bone stock 5-speed should put down slight more power than an auto to the wheels since the 5-speed will soak up less power to operate.

Cool?

If it's an auto I'd say you're right on. If it's a manual, that seems very low to me. You usually see those old '87 and non-california '88 cars dyno over 200 to the wheels.

You might need to check into the timing, fuel pressure, etc...

If you have use of the dyno, see how much timing you can push on pump gas. It should be safe somewhere between 13 to 15 degrees. Stock timing is 10* BTDC. make sure you pull the spout connector before you set initial timing, or you will be way off.

Chris

If it's an auto I'd say you're right on. If it's a manual, that seems very low to me. You usually see those old '87 and non-california '88 cars dyno over 200 to the wheels.

You might need to check into the timing, fuel pressure, etc...

If you have use of the dyno, see how much timing you can push on pump gas. It should be safe somewhere between 13 to 15 degrees. Stock timing is 10* BTDC. make sure you pull the spout connector before you set initial timing, or you will be way off.

Chris

Ive never heard of a 5.0 being that high! 195 maybe,never over 200!!:nonono:

sorry forgot to mention that its a manual and I believe it was a dynojet.

I figured that 225 was probably at the motor but I was having trouble finding some real world numbers.

thanks for info guys, I guess Ill be content with those numbers for stock and maybe a little tuning will help it.

For a stock 18 yr old motor (if its still original) that ain't bad at all. Hell thats not bad of a low mileage stocker. I woulds say anywhere from 180 -195 is about average. With the higher ones being 5 spd.

Ive never heard of a 5.0 being that high! 195 maybe,never over 200!!:nonono:

Ok, you're right to an extent: "most" 87-88 foxes probably don't make 200rwhp, but some certainly have. For quick reference, take a look at may 1996 issue of super fords. That's just one example of a stock 5.0 dynoing over 200rwhp, and it was an '89.

Chris

Those numbers arent bad at all.

With a few bolt ons you should pick up quite a few ponies.

My car at the time only had an O/R H, Catback, Pullies, and 12* of timing and put down this.

graph4.jpg

graph2.jpg

Attachments

• graph4.jpg
    graph4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 63
  • graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 64
Those numbers arent bad at all.

With a few bolt ons you should pick up quite a few ponies.

My car at the time only had an O/R H, Catback, Pullies, and 12* of timing and put down this.

graph4.jpg

graph2.jpg

wow, thats quite a bit of HP gain from just some basic mods. Ill be addin an exhaust, suspension and gears hopefully next week or so and Ill see where Im at. Not used to such big gains (Honda as daily driver :o )

Attachments

• graph4.jpg
    graph4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
  • graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 71
I'd call those good numbers. I just like to stress the importance of the fact that a dyno is a tuning tool and not a true measure of what a car will do...seen many cars dyno'd relatively low for their mods, including mine, but they RUN at the track and have outrun many people posting higher dyno numbers, all other variables being pretty damn close.

IMO, for a hi-mi motor you have nothing to worry about....you can tell these are torque-motors, all your power is low as hell!