How much power does a S/C give?

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Ok, my dad is wanting a S/C for his 00 V6, so he can beat my GT. I thinking he should run about 9PSI. Lets say its completely bone stock, how much RWHP are we looking at? And @ 11PSI? I believe he is getting an intercooled procharger P1SC.

And how reliable are these motors under boost? I know the limit for our 2Vs is about 420 before they become very unsafe, so what about these? I never hear of S/Cd V6s letting go :shrug: . Thanks guys! BTW i was thinking about a 11PSI pulley but only running it to 5K to make it last...im sure he would see a good 9-10 by then. Good idea?:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Intercooled with fuel upgrades and a good tune should last a good while. 11 psi on a 2000 will pass up a stock and even modded GT. Expect maybe around 230-250rwhp, but every engine responds differently because they all are not the same and different altitudes, humidity, and the outside pressure can effect the exact numbers of boost.

TMX said:
Intercooled with fuel upgrades and a good tune should last a good while. 11 psi on a 2000 will pass up a stock and even modded GT. Expect maybe around 230-250rwhp, but every engine responds differently because they all are not the same and different altitudes, humidity, and the outside pressure can effect the exact numbers of boost.
11psi procharger on an internally stock Splitport will put down no less than 265 rwhp and more like 280rwhp is the norm.

11psi kit requires 39lb cobra injectors or aftetrmarket 42's,SVT focus fuel pump,SCT big air MAF calibrated for the injectors and an SCT chip burned for the setup and fine dyno tuned

with an RPM mustangs H/C/I package the kit on a splitport will hit 340rwhp without breaking a sweat

most single ports put out about 250rwhp with 42's ,MAF, Chip

hell my 98 put down 227rwhp/267ftlbs with an 11psi procharger on stock 14lb injectors controlled by the Procharger FMU and no tune. and it would run and hide from my stock 99 GT vert

generally the procharger will add 100+rwhp to the 3.8/3.9/4.2 ford from 94-2004

vortech's on a singleport usually put down about 200rwhp as does a M-90 swap. torque on the M-90 swap is around 300ftlbs though

Well, the formula (boost/14.7)+1 * hp so ~1.74 * 165 is about 288. I took off about 20% for inefficiencies, but that's formulas. Can't match real numbers. I'll remember that info for the next time heh.
Then again, as I said, each engine responds differently, some respond very well to mods and boost, others puke out their guts and cry home to the dealership. I'm just a newbie to the 3.8 still.

THANKS GUYS! Thats what i wanted to know. I havnt got around to cheacking this thread lol, but glad someone responded :nice:. Ill let him know he can expect about 290 since he will run a dual exhaust setup. What do those prochargers cost anyways, like 3500 right?

No, it's only a 145-150 =(. I just barely missed MENSA but corrected 2 questions on the test and they didn't like that lol.
But boost is also the measure of pressure exerted onto the engine. A set of heads and intake that flow very good might show a 7psi of boost, but in reality the supercharger is putting enough airflow to be called 11psi. The true amount of gains is determined by how much CFM the engine can get. There's probably some formula on google that can solve it, I'll learn it later lol.

Alot of the reasons was cause I was working on some calculators for engines and even drag racing. There are some out there that cost like $100, and I wanted to make free versions.
View attachment 491651
that's a project I've been working on. It's not exact yet, it shows the car travels 1321 feet in 15.9..... seconds (rounded) at 89.something mph. It actually calculates each 100th of a second of the race and solves at what rpm and speed the car is going, then uses torque to figure out how much acceleration it gains.

lol. Ok, I don't have forumlas yet, but I have a strong understanding of boost. Basically, the ultimate goal of getting a supercharger is to pack more air into the chambers, having pressure or boost helps. Having high flow intake, heads, larger valves, larger bore, larger stroke, and rod length all ultimately effect exactly how much air can be pushed into the cylinder, and the amount of backpressure the charger is exerting while it's trying to force air in. By pushing air in, you can put more fuel in and raise the compression ratio. The compression ratio is what is causing the increase in hp. This is how every engine will react differently under different pounds of boost. Also the altitude at which you live it affects too. At sea level there is 14.7 psi of pressure being exerted downward, but in Denver there is only 12.2psi.
After I learn formulas, I should make a site of calculators for people to use.

you dont actually raise the compression ratio, just the volume of air and fuel in the chamber, which is where the gain comes from. The compression ratio is a mechanical measurement, which is how much smaller the chamber becomes at TDC versus the original size at bdc. you will however raise the pressure in the chamber because of the air volume difference

Well, the physical ratio of the cylinder doesn't increase no, but you pack more air into a space and compress it. CR says 9 units of volume is compressed into 1 unit of volume, but when you stuff more air in, your upping the amount of volume to like 12 units stuffed into the space for 9, and still compressing it to 1 unit. The compression ratio of how much volume is being compressed to the amount it's compressed at does change.