how to determine engine oil grade for modded engine

shaggy911

Jan 10, 2011
i have 302 with total seal rings and some pistons - by a previous owner.
Currently it has 20w50. i dont know if this is needed or if it will work in the winter time well.

How do i find out what grade to put in it, without screwing up the engine internals? I dont see any need to put 20w50.

BTW what is factory fill grade?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

10W30 is the factory grade. 20W50 is too thick for winter no? I know some people use 20W50 but i just use 10W30, I don't use those expensive oil either, I just use Motorcraft. Good stuff :)

i run 20w50 in my car, but i live in texas where its warmer climate. if you are up north i would say no but the winter doesn't get too cold here so it thins up relatively quick.

if temps here go down till 10F what oil would you suggest for winter?
And for comparison what does the factory suggest?

I was thinking of using 10w30
My 2004 V6 stang required 5w-30 (or 5w-20 maybe?). But that may be directly related to engine specs which is ofcourse different.

Winter 5w30 all other 10w30, I would use a full synthetic year round if I could (leaky rear main seal=waste). All though next year I do plan on running a full synthetic during the winter months, it has a better cold flow rate then dino. 20w50 is just to thick for engines with close/tight clearances, you don't have a big block from the 60's/70's.