Engine How to Determine if Factory/Dealer A/C Delete

bleedinggreen

5 Year Member
Aug 13, 2018
Humble, TX
I bought an 89 LX 5.0 hatchback without A/C. Which, by the way, was a terrible idea since I live in Texas. However, when looking under the hood for any A/C bits that were left I noticed that where the evaporator tubes would normally come out of the firewall, there is a black, rubbery, foam piece. I figured that most people that remove the A/C themselves would just cap the evaporator lines and roll with it, so I was wondering if the AC was deleted by the dealer or if it is a factory non-A/C car. Is there anyway to determine this?

• Sponsors (?)

Pictures would help.

but non-aC cars do have a rubber plug over the hole in the firewall. Also, the non-AC, hvac controls are uncommon and sell for $$$. Most people don’t bother changing them out when they delete the aC.

Reactions: 1 user
Buck tag.

If it has an "AC" code it had air conditioner from the factory.
If it does not have an "AC" code then it did not have air conditioner from the factory.

There is NO such thing as "factory AC delete" unless it was done by the dealer (not likely -- that's a stupid thing for a dealer to do) or an owner.

• Agree
I giggle to myself (yes I do that alot) when someone states they have 'deleted' the ac, all they have done is taken off the ac compressor! To 'delete the ac' you will remove the compressor, swap the ac/heater box under the dash to a non ac box (good luck finding one) and change the selector on the dash to non ac (good luck finding one of those too) but that's just me.

Pictures would help.

but non-aC cars do have a rubber plug over the hole in the firewall. Also, the non-AC, hvac controls are uncommon and sell for $$$. Most people don’t bother changing them out when they delete the aC.
The car is at the body shop right now. I'll take a pic when I get it back later this week.

Buck tag.

If it has an "AC" code it had air conditioner from the factory.
If it does not have an "AC" code then it did not have air conditioner from the factory.

There is NO such thing as "factory AC delete" unless it was done by the dealer (not likely -- that's a stupid thing for a dealer to do) or an owner.
I'll have to search for a buck tag. I have the engine out and the front bumper off, and I haven't seen one. When I get the car back, I'll look for it.

I giggle to myself (yes I do that alot) when someone states they have 'deleted' the ac, all they have done is taken off the ac compressor! To 'delete the ac' you will remove the compressor, swap the ac/heater box under the dash to a non ac box (good luck finding one) and change the selector on the dash to non ac (good luck finding one of those too) but that's just me.
If it did have A/C, all the parts have been removed. There's nothing left of it under the hood, and no tubes coming out of the fire wall.

I find it hard to believe someone swapped out or removed the box and cut the evap out. It's a ridiculous amount of work.
Removing the AC system is dumb enough itself, i can't imagine being so ignorant that someone pull out the entire dash board.
If you pull the block off plate and there is nothing obviously cut behind it, i'd say you likely have a no AC car.

One of the things I really liked about my 87 GT is that it is a factory non-AC car and has manual crank windows. Very old school and I like that. The HVAC selector on the dash was a great thought. When I looked at my car, that's one of the first things I looked at.

My car has no provision for AC on the selector and that's when I knew it was a factory non-AC car. I know they are out there, but mine is the first 5.0/foxbody I ever came across (especially a GT) equipped this way and that's when I decided I really wanted it. It's also a factory 5 speed convertible which I also really wanted. (Also less common, many convertibles were AOD)

Ordered and received a new 1985 GT without air and the fastest way to verify that it never left the factory with AC is the heater core, on a non-AC car it is just a simple drop the glove box door and the cover facing you will have two nuts. After removing the cover you disconnect the heater hose at the firewall which allows you to just pull the heater core strait out.

I'll have to search for a buck tag. I have the engine out and the front bumper off, and I haven't seen one. When I get the car back, I'll look for it.

Mine was located on the driver side of the rad support, bumper side of the support. So removal of bumper cover was required to read it.

20150411_074618.jpg 20150411_074622.jpg

Pictures would help.

Got the car back a few weeks ago and finally made it out to the garage today. Here's a photo of the rubber cover that's over the hole in the firewall.
IMG_3600.JPG

It is possible that someone deleted A/C and swapped the heater box behind the dash to a non-A/C unit, but that is alot of work when if the goal was simply to take out the A/C.

I would bet you have a factory non-A/C car.