Engine how to eliminate hot temps in upper intake

That factory hole was never functional. I think it was for clearance of the air cleaner (maybe). In your pic it looks like there is a lip around the edge to help keep some water out of the engine bay. That is the main reason I suggested something small for an opening. If you are only trying to vent some heat, you don't need much for an opening.
@mattys91gt The area of the hole below the scoop (A = Pi r squared if circles) should be equal or greater than the cut out in the scoop front (A=L times W).
If you want help with the math, bring the measurements of the holes . We have been through reviewing algebra and geometry with two kids since Covid started. :bang: Might as well use it for good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

What’s the other side of the hood look like?
I am hoping it’s still handy and it was a factory install. I only had the scoop to retrofit on an LX.
here's more pics I had of it

Attachments

• Resized_20220508_161539.jpg
    Resized_20220508_161539.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • Resized_20220508_161455.jpg
    Resized_20220508_161455.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Resized_20220508_161433.jpg
    Resized_20220508_161433.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery_resized.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Ah yes, I see.  I see.
It all heat soaks eveentually.

I have no coolant lines, no EGR, a phenolic spacer and I can assure you after some time driving around everything in the engine bay is blisteringly hot. It's not to much isolating components that will help, but getting better airflow through the engine bay. A cowl hood may help with this in terms of giving rising heat an easier path to escape. Ceramic coated headers is another thing that may help.
i just bought a sve rad for my 89... installing it today... i also did a flush on it ysterday...

Attachments

• 285752240_10159234033578229_8453036908368312718_n.jpg
    285752240_10159234033578229_8453036908368312718_n.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 33
What problem are you trying to solve here? Seems like a lot of effort for something that others don’t have an issue with. Engine bays get hot. It’s still going to be toasty in there no matter what you do

• Agree
@mattys91gt The area of the hole below the scoop (A = Pi r squared if circles) should be equal or greater than the cut out in the scoop front (A=L times W).
If you want help with the math, bring the measurements of the holes . We have been through reviewing algebra and geometry with two kids since Covid started. :bang: Might as well use it for good.
I just saw this lol I never took that in high school I'm the class of 2000 I was at a tech school for autobody I had all simple classes and out in the field working in 11th I'll have to show my wife's kids and see if they know

Classic case of 'Over Thinking'
Install the scoop with the opening to the rear of the hood and drill 3 or 4 round holes or a slot a few inches wide, the width of the scoop in the hood under the front edge of the scoop and call it a day.

Drill/cut holes or slot in the hood under the front edge of the scoop, wish I could draw a pic, look, if you want to effectively get air out the holes/slot should be between intake and the radiator but the scoop opening in the back needs to be as close to the back of the hood as possible, still the effect likely will be minimal.
Pay no attention to the opening in that hood the scoop came off of, that is designed to let air in not out and it's for a carburetor.

Drill/cut holes or slot in the hood under the front edge of the scoop, wish I could draw a pic, look, if you want to effectively get air out the holes/slot should be between intake and the radiator but the scoop opening in the back needs to be as close to the back of the hood as possible, still the effect likely will be minimal.
Pay no attention to the opening in that hood the scoop came off of, that is designed to let air in not out and it's for a carburetor.
I came send u my email or with the hood pic if u take a screen shot u can draw on the picture

now for the next issue brand new EGR and evr on the strut tower I'm getting code 34 again idk why probably my vacuum lines, does the line to back of the intake get a check vavle on it