How to get MORE power?

04gtdrop

Jun 10, 2005
Sac, CA
Ok, guys, this is a little long but please read and chime in if you can help….

I got the gears put in. and I’m pretty happy with them. But I have found myself with the MOD bug that we all share. I need your help/suggestions. I want her to be faster. But it seems like I am running out of stuff to do (within my budget).

So far she has a densecharger CAI, stock MAF, BBK 70mm T/B, TrickFlow plenum, T/B and plenum Spacers.

Mac Pro Chamber with cats, Mac cat-back. FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73’s and a predator.

Next up will be C/C plates, MGW shifter, rear control arms and a dyno tune.

WITH OUT getting into cams, blower, NOS, heads or headers, what else can be done to get more HP out of my “little” 4.6? Am I missing anything here?

I thought about going with a different CAI like MAC or C&L. but I don’t know if it would be worth it to buy another CAI when I already have one.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

edit, i put her on a dyno when she was 100% stock and she put down 232 RWHP I am wondering if its possible to get close to 300? once i can get so more $$$ i will do the dyno tune and find out for sure. But it seems like some people on here have the same or close to the same mods as me and they are only getting like 260-280 RWHP. Is it not possible to get 300 RWHP from the 4.6's without going to FI ?

• Sponsors (?)

I think you made excellent choices with the mods you have, no underdrive pullies, decent CAI, gears, etc.

As for the next mod, I am not sure where you could get any more HP cheaply and easily.

Maybe you should do some appearance mods?

How are you set on preventitive maintenance?

I think you need to consider some of the things you rule out in your post (cams, nitrous, etc)

well i still cannot post pics of my stang in here. not that i am dumb, i just cant get it to work. If someone would like to host them i could email them over. But she has 03 cobras, tail seqencers, tint, "clear corners", eibach pro kit, bumper inserts, tinted, radar detector, alarm, amp and sub added onto the mach system. and... i think thats it. so as far as cosmetic. i think a style bar would look nice when i have the top down. but i'm not really into body kits or what not. althought i do like the saleen kit, i would want the power to back up the look first. in my eyes i would want to put down the power of a saleen if i was going to pose as one. but thats just me....

uhh i was playing with the NOS idea, but im still unsure. Blower is out of my price range for now, cams and heads, i dont think that those would be a good idea for me either.

killgore, thanks for your input.

edit, i have thought abot headers, bt im not to sure how they are with "smog" laws in CA and i have heard they are a Pain in the @$$ to put on our stangs.

i guess maybe work on susp parts? i was looking at getting a front and rear sway bar. maybe even a front tower brace, but i dont know if it will clear my CAI on the passanger side

i havent gotten it yet. its on my "to do" list.
i am going to go to a local shop in roseville. called Throttle Stop. They have a dyno. The owner was cool as hell and seemed like he really knew his stuff.... why do you ask?

04gtdrop said:
i havent gotten it yet. its on my "to do" list.
i am going to go to a local shop in roseville. called Throttle Stop. They have a dyno. The owner was cool as hell and seemed like he really knew his stuff.... why do you ask?

I'm in Sonoma County, just checking to see where you got it done. I'll be heading to Fairfield to get a dyno at Advanced Dyno Technologies soon.

Hornetsnest said:
Good for you...I got that # with all my mods, but I got an auto and timing set for 91 octane :(

im not trying to brag or say that my stang is better. im just saying that if she already has 232. with all my bolt on's, i wonder if i could make it to 300, i have a feeling that i will fall short. but who knows.

also i'm curious, i did the dyno run when she was still "new" with like 8 or 10k miles on her. since she has like 22-23k on her, will she lose power as the miles stack up on the odom????

04gtdrop said:
im not trying to brag or say that my stang is better. im just saying that if she already has 232. with all my bolt on's, i wonder if i could make it to 300, i have a feeling that i will fall short. but who knows.
My bad man :) ...I wasn't trying to sound like a smart azz...I really was trying to say that it was good that you got 232 to the wheels of a stock 04 GT.

Are you sure it was stock BTW?...Again, not calling you out, but taking into account the appox drivetrain lose of +/-15% and what everybody else usually gets on a stock 5 speed...It should of been something like 215 to 225 depending on heat/humidity (real BAD during my pulls), the dyno itself, all cars being different etc...I've never heard of someone getting 232 to the wheels right off the bat, but good job and I hope you reach your goals.

With the auto loss of +20%, I was content with 232...Appoximate gain of +/-30hp with the mods considering what my shop usually dynos stock autos at...They told me they could have gotten me a better sheet with cooler conditions and timing for higher octane, but oh well...Glad to hear some people throwing some decent stock power down :cheers:

other mods you could get are a canton windage tray, plasma booster ignition, diablosport maf.ia (goes on stock maf), meziere electric water pump, iridium plugs, clutch, flywheel, pulleys, 75mm tb, change engine, trans.,and gear oils to a high quality one

Green&GoldGT said:
other mods you could get are a canton windage tray, plasma booster ignition, diablosport maf.ia (goes on stock maf), meziere electric water pump, iridium plugs, clutch, flywheel, pulleys, 75mm tb, change engine, trans.,and gear oils to a high quality one
which of these will give more hp????

to get to 300 you need cams and LTs at least to get you close.

People will tell you that it's impossible to get 300rwhp from stock h/c/i and N/A. Green&GoldGT hit up a few important items that people tend to neglect. Windage tray, w/ a good oil pan, maybe even coupled with a dry/wet sump set up, along with a meziere electric water pump, and a lightened drivetrain (ie: alum. flywheel, alum. driveshaft) and you'd actually gain a decent bit of rwhp. Mind you though, none of these actually "add" any power. They just better utilize the potential power the motor could have made stock. Superchargers, turbo's and nitrous are power adders, since they add power the motor couldn't have made on it's own.

Not like you needed the break down of all that but, sometimes, its good to point that out.

Green&GoldGT said:
Plasma booster is a waste of money, but I definitely agree on windage tray + oil pan and electric water pump. Another thing you might wanna do is run a water/methanol injection kit - that will net anywhere between 15-20 RWHP I would guesstimate - you can check it out at www.snowperformance.com - they make one for N/A cars.

Hmmmm, FYI, aftermarket MAF are useless on bolt on GTs.

And it is quite possible to hit 300rwhp with the N/A 2v 4.6. Ken Bjonnes is right around 370 if I recall correctly :nice:

Green&GoldGT said:

I do not advise using the following things mentioned above: MAF mod, iridium plugs, pullies, fancy engine oil

Avenger said:
And it is quite possible to hit 300rwhp with the N/A 2v 4.6. Ken Bjonnes is right around 370 if I recall correctly :nice:
certainly possible, but he doesnt want to get into heads/cams or higher compression so that kind of rules out a lot of stuff - heads and cams make such a big difference.

ProCharger GT said:
certainly possible, but he doesnt want to get into heads/cams or higher compression so that kind of rules out a lot of stuff - heads and cams make such a big difference.

I hear you on that one

The guy said...

04gtdrop said:
Is it not possible to get 300 RWHP from the 4.6's without going to FI ?

Just wanted to point out it CAN be done without FI. Never said it could be done with bolt ons :nice:

gotcha, thanks for all the info guys, i didnt even think about some of the stuff that you guys pointed out. thats why i post and ask.

not to sound dumb, but how/why is a windage tray and oil sump good for the stang?

and i thought the snow perf menthol stuff was only for cars with blowers?

also whats up with meziere electric water pump? is the stock one crap?

iridium plugs, how do these help?

clutch and flywheel just free up a few ponys? what about a 180 t-stat?

thanks a bunch guys