Howz digital ignition better than analog?

• Sponsors (?)

Check out ICE Ignitions; even better than MSD and cheaper. Plus I got really really good results. It's going to be the next big thing. My engine builder had them shipped over from Austraila and is now a US distributor. We actually hooked up a MSD unit and the ICE unit and you could see the difference on the dyno.

http://www.iceignition.com

They break down the difference betwen ignition types.

Look up the spec sheets for both MSD boxes. The digital is more likely to have extra features, since its easy to program functions into a digital processor.

As far as digital electrical signals vs analog electrical signals, there shouldn't be much difference. At 6000RPM, each cylinder is firing 100 times a second. Both types of circuits are going to be able to work at that speed. Milliseconds (0.001 sec) and even microseconds (0.000001sec) are plenty of time for the electronics.

The digital ignition might be able to prevent over-reving. Ive also seen some with a feature that detects driveline failure and stops the spark before it over-revs. The analog box is a straight-forward box that increases the energy in the coil, will multiply the sparks and can still kill spark when it reaches the limit.

I have a 6A and blaster2. It starts up so much easier than the stock setup. Would I notice the difference of a digital ignition? I doubt it. I dont race it down the track at 200mph.

But dont let people tell you that digital electronics are faster or better than analog electronics. Theres a lot of marketing out there that make it seem like something is better if its digital. Sometime it seems like people associate 'analog' with 'vacuum tube' or 'low tech'. I work on analog processors that operate at 60GHz, and are not low-tech by any standard. Digital circuits cant process information fast enough for my applications, but they may work better for other applications. It all depends on the application and design. and its hard to compare how one works inside vs the other because the information of 'how it works' is not released to the public. The spec sheet and tech support are your best bets.

I say you get the 6AL, then spend the remaining $200 on gas to drive somewhere fun.

the theory is that the digital system calculates plug resistance, and all kinds of other fun things, to give the precise spark energy needed to fire the plug. it is also supposed to give a multiple strike capability higher up into the rpm range, analog systems are multi-strike until a set rpm then they revert to a cd ignition. does it work? yes. is it worth the money? that depends. are you going racing where you need 10/10 power all the time? if not, dont spend the money.

Look up the spec sheets for both MSD boxes. The digital is more likely to have extra features, since its easy to program functions into a digital processor.

As far as digital electrical signals vs analog electrical signals, there shouldn't be much difference. At 6000RPM, each cylinder is firing 100 times a second. Both types of circuits are going to be able to work at that speed. Milliseconds (0.001 sec) and even microseconds (0.000001sec) are plenty of time for the electronics.

The digital ignition might be able to prevent over-reving. Ive also seen some with a feature that detects driveline failure and stops the spark before it over-revs. The analog box is a straight-forward box that increases the energy in the coil, will multiply the sparks and can still kill spark when it reaches the limit.

I have a 6A and blaster2. It starts up so much easier than the stock setup. Would I notice the difference of a digital ignition? I doubt it. I dont race it down the track at 200mph.

But dont let people tell you that digital electronics are faster or better than analog electronics. Theres a lot of marketing out there that make it seem like something is better if its digital. Sometime it seems like people associate 'analog' with 'vacuum tube' or 'low tech'. I work on analog processors that operate at 60GHz, and are not low-tech by any standard. Digital circuits cant process information fast enough for my applications, but they may work better for other applications. It all depends on the application and design. and its hard to compare how one works inside vs the other because the information of 'how it works' is not released to the public. The spec sheet and tech support are your best bets.

I say you get the 6AL, then spend the remaining $200 on gas to drive somewhere fun.

I agree with just about everything you've said here. Well, except for the 6000rpm = each cylinder firing 100 times a second. It would actually only be 50x per second.

Digital control allows for easier communication with other electronics, and easier manipulation of the output. BUT, like mentioned... digital isn't necessarily better, just different.

For what? Driving to the store? 2-hour endurance race? If it sparks and fires the mixture when it's supposed to, there's no need to change anything. Don't fall for the hype.

maybe my english is bad, but I just wanted to know some differences and then make judgment for my application. From MSD materials it is hard to say the difference; boxes have about the same tech specs (yet digital 6 is slightly more efficient, but definitely not worth few extra $00 bucks for street). Thanks all for advice

yeah, i guess i forgot about those two extra exhaust stokes.

PAZUR: since it sounds like you dont know whether or not to spend $200 on the fancy version, you're probably like me and cant buy every shiny thing at the parts store. if my assumption is true, then there are probably other parts on your car that need attention, i would say some of those other things are probably more important than a digital ignition.

I had MSD-6AL.

Sold it for a Crane Hi-6 system as I bought their new digital distributor as well.

Crane is UNREAL!!!!! The quality is top notch.

MSD is good as well, but many have had failures with MSD's boxes and distributors.

Also.....you can go to Crane's site and actually see the guts of the 6-AL and Hi-6......That alone made me want the Crane part.

yeah, i guess i forgot about those two extra exhaust stokes.

PAZUR: since it sounds like you dont know whether or not to spend $200 on the fancy version, you're probably like me and cant buy every shiny thing at the parts store. if my assumption is true, then there are probably other parts on your car that need attention, i would say some of those other things are probably more important than a digital ignition.

my car is torn appart, and just want to make it running not to see
recent year camry station wagon passing me over when v8 approaching its limits. And yes, I don't have money for fancy stuff, but don't want to buy things that are unusable and end up throwing them out.

pazur, in your case simple is best. i am using a duraspark distributor, with a chrysler orange ignition box, and an msd blaster 3 coil. it works great, and is inexpensive. as i recall i have like $150 total invested in the system, and that includes the harness for the ignition box to the distributor. the wiring is simple as well. oh and the reason i had $150 invested, i had to get a new pick up coil for my duraspark distributor. let me know if you want more details, or check out www.gofastforless.com