I’m Curious —-Why a Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

My wife had an accord. I really miss how fuel efficient that thing was, but it also drank coolant like a drunk even while under warranty. Honda was useless so we traded it in on a GM product. Not sure if that was a smart move however we've had no issues with it. Now looking at getting the wife a Volvo.

I might like Ford products, but I am in no way tied to them that it's the only thing i'll drive. I loved owning my Infiniti G35x.

Only car brand i'll never own is BMW. I hate them with a passion.

Reactions: 1 user
Passions and first loves aren't supposed to be rational. The fox is my dream car. Strange to say that when I looked at all the exotics as a teen. I can see a C6 Z06 in my future, and on the exotic side, the 04-06 Ford GT might be in the offing one day, but those are still just cars to me. My 2 foxes are more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Only car brand i'll never own is BMW. I hate them with a passion.
Got my SO a '14 X5 xDrive35i 2 years ago at ~70k miles for $20.3k. Now, it's at ~130k. Knock on wood, so far all it's needed is brake pads. I specifically vetoed their turbo V8 in lieu of the turbo 3.0 6 cyl after reading about all the problems the big motor had. The 3.0, by all accounts is a bullet proof motor. Plus, it sticks to my turbo theme. It's the road trip car, and it's the most adult/civilized vehicle I've ever owned.

The best part? It's worth as much or more than I paid for it. I know that won't last, but it's pretty cool for the time being. Anyways, it may turn out to be terrible in the end, but to this point I've been fortunate and it has grown on me.

Last edited:
I'd have to say, of all the cars i've ever driven, this is the one that put the biggest smile on my face and got my heart pumping the most.

I couldn't get that :poo:-eating grin off my face for a few weeks after driving this around a track.

1641583539797.png

I'm trying really hard to not obsess too much about getting one because right now, they are hard to find and dealers are adding insane mark-ups to them. Plus there's that whole "kids have to go to college" think that keeps me from pulling the trigger. Oh well. I'll keep dreaming and we will see what happens.

As much as the foxbody sparked my interest in something i can tinker on and have fun, this is a whole different animal.

Reactions: 1 users
Plus there's that whole "kids have to go to college" think that keeps me from pulling the trigger.
Plan ahead. I've got the 90 and a 17 GT. My daughter is 16 and I work from home. There's a very good chance she might end up taking the 17 off to college. Lesson learned. I'll buy a Corolla once she's gone. Then when my poor son goes off to college 4 years later...

Once he's gone...

• Haha
Just for the record I inherited quite a bit of money that I deserved taking care of my dementia ridden father for three years. My daughter went to a four year liberal arts school in St Pete Fl. I wrote twenty five thousand dollar checks every year. Not including a trip to some place in the world every year with the rich kids that was expected. A great experience for her that is just about forgotten now. She works for a pool building company estimating, ordering, and customer relations doing at least forty in ground pools at a time.... She was hammered with Trump hate every day in college.

• Angry
Plan ahead. I've got the 90 and a 17 GT. My daughter is 16 and I work from home. There's a very good chance she might end up taking the 17 off to college. Lesson learned. I'll buy a Corolla once she's gone. Then when my poor son goes off to college 4 years later...

Once he's gone...

I’ve been investing money aggressively since the day they were born. I could liquidate some and and get a GT500 and still keep some invested, but priorities I guess. All that missed earning potential.

I paid for my own college myself. As much as I think the kiddos would learn some responsibility doing the same, I love those little guys more than any car and will do whatever it takes to make sure they get far ahead in life. Family > cars, so for now….I wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Back then I was all about Fox Mustangs and Vanilla Ice. Now I own a 1990 white LX convertible V8 and a 1993 calypso hatchback 2.3.

The Fox Mustang has tremendous aftermarket support. Ford made a gazillion of them. They are light, the chassis is suited for drag racing. You can build one for just about any application you can think of. Interchangeability is off the charts.
What is not to like?

• Agree
The foxbody mustang is what got me into cars. I remember back in highschool around 1997 my buddy talked me into taking auto tech class. He would bring in MM&FF magazines. Showing me all the these foxbody mustangs.

That's when I bought the white 91 gt that you see in my avatar. I had that car for 10 years. From bolt ons, to 347, then a 408. I ended up selling to pay off bills.

A little over a year later I bought a 92 coupe, then sold that and bought a 03 cobra. I still have the cobra today! I should have never sold that 92 though.

I've since added a 90 coupe and the 93 reef blue hatch. The wife bought her dream car last summer. A 67 fastback.

I've always been a fan of foxbody mustangs. It's in my blood.

As a senior in high school in 89', I drove a 76' TA. My running partners both had early 80's 4cyl Foxes. We swapped the first one at his Uncles used car business, rebuilt 302 with a C4. Then did the same to the other in his Moms garage. They were fun cars,but couldn't beat my TA. I was a diehard GM guy,my Dad bought a new 69'Z28 and then a 70'SS LT1. I remember all the stories about him street racing back then. Fast forward to 91' or so,I was in the Air Force in FL,driving an 86' Toyota 4x4 to haul my MX bike around. I went home on leave,and the aforementioned buddy had an 87 LX. I couldn't believe how much more refined they became with the FI 302. It was a quick little bugger,and pulled 25+mpg on a daily 32 mile one way trip to work. That car started my love for the Fox,and I've owned several since 94', with my 89'LX vert being my current love affair.

Why a Fox ?? Because I just drove my car after four months, and what a thrill after driving four cylinders. The sound of air sucking in, and the sound going out is so cool. What can you say about the short throw shifter. I just put Sunoco Race Fuel in it. Two gallons for twenty bucks because it's gonna sit for a while. The car started right up, and idled perfect the whole time. Great experience for a fifty seven year old guy.

Why a fox body is simply because it was THE car to have in '79
The new Mustang and Capri for 1979 was the hip new thing
And they had a serpentine belt setup on them and other lame but cool stuff at the time (Macpherson struts)
Excuse my French but the 78 mustang although refined at the time was a lump

Honestly I am curious as to why the Fox is so popular with you guys to rebuild.
I come to mine because my daughter, and Son in Law wanted my Harley.
They offered the Fox and $ 3000 for it.
Barb made me take it as she wanted to make them happy.
I planned on selling the 83. Had my 1996 F150 4x4, and she had her 2015 GT Premium. Didn’t need anything else.
She encouraged me to keep it, and fix it up. Was’nt going to do it.
After she fell over a baby gate that screwed up her hip her Mustang was uncomfortable for her to drive, so we traded it in for a 2018 Explorer.
7 months later she passed away.
So I am looking at this Explorer that I don’t have any use for, and I’m looking at the little Mustang and I thought “ Why not build the Mustang and sell the Explorer.
The Explorer sold in less than two weeks.
Only had 5,000 miles on it.
My build began.
Want you to know that it was about 4 months before I decided to sell her ride.
It’s been about 3 years so please no condolences. I’m good.
Just curious as to why the Fox.
Never was a fan until 2019 and owned one, and started visiting this Forum.
You can easily get another Harley Keep the '96