I Am A Homeless Man

Are you sure? A few of my friends and I have been looking at properties in Tennessee to escape the ZOO Florida has become... We have seen properties go up over 200K in less than a year.... The Californians have invaded and run up the prices, Just like they did in Oregon, IDAHO, Washington.... Lets not forget poor ole Austin TX......
I have been window shopping, and I beleive I will do ok. I didnt mention my folks are gifting me 5 acres of the 20 they have. If building makes money sense I will do that and not buy an existing place.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have been window shopping, and I beleive I will do ok. I didnt mention my folks are gifting me 5 acres of the 20 they have. If building makes money sense I will do that and not buy an existing place.

Building the way to go IMO. What do you think of the area where the 20 acres are situated?

It is in a town name Porter right next to Chesterton, I grew up there but i have only been back a handful of times since I left for the USMC in late 91

I do want to be close to the folks as they are getting older and I plan on helping out around the house, mowing, plowing, car maintenance whatever kind of normal :poo:. Being single I can be happy away from people with a smaller house and a big shop.

My "ideal place" 2000sgft 3bed/2 bath (maybe 2.5 bath ) single story on a unfinished basement

and 2 24x24 attached garages If i can do that for 300k all in I will without thinking twice about it. That would leave me mortgage free and 120k left to build "mega shop"

It is in a town name Porter right next to Chesterton, I grew up there but i have only been back a handful of times since I left for the USMC in late 91

I do want to be close to the folks as they are getting older and I plan on helping out around the house, mowing, plowing, car maintenance whatever kind of normal :poo:. Being single I can be happy away from people with a smaller house and a big shop.

My "ideal place" 2000sgft 3bed/2 bath (maybe 2.5 bath ) single story on a unfinished basement

and 2 24x24 attached garages If i can do that for 300k all in I will without thinking twice about it. That would leave me mortgage free and 120k left to build "mega shop"

Have you looked at barndominiums?

Reactions: 1 users
I have but my mother says they are not allowed per local code, Im not sure she knows I will investigate further once I am there
When I decided to buy a home after I transfered to florida for my job in 2013 ( then I ended up staying) I looked for some older commercial buildings, gas stations, and even some larger buildings in the country and then I was going to build an apartment inside it.. They were all too expensive and the property taxes were high....
I would think an " apartment" inside a large tall ceilinged warehouse would be neat...
A nice kitchen, living area and one bedroom would have worked for me.. Two bedrooms if you have alot of friends who might visit.... Cut a doorway for a outside deck? Install some windows for natural light......I am thinking an exterior wall here in an already built buildiing.....
Building from scratch would certainly give you alot of options in a Barndominium..... Good luck

Last edited:
Wow, at that price for all that, I may learn to deal with the cold winter!
Being prepared is half the battle. If you expect to live like you are in Florida, stay home. You learn to dress properly. You learn to outfit your vehicle properly. If that is done, then the transition is easy.
I Lived in Montana and Wyoming for 15 years. After that, Maine is a breeze.

Had the home inspection today, I havent heard anything but I am sure there will be some things on the request list. I feel like the inspector has to find some things. The dude was very cool and did say the house was in very great shape and just some minor things. I have no details yet but I am glad the random strangers walking around my house is all but done.

Buyer wanted 2 post lift, asked how much, I said 5k, he offered 4500. Now I dont have to move it. My buddy was gonna get it for 2500 so he is a bit bummed but he understands.

The inspection result requests are serioulsy lame but my agent said whats a few bucks when you are walking with 420k+

1. Seller to have licensed HVAC contractor service HVAC system to ensure proper working order.
2. Seller to have licensed contractor service garage door to ensure proper working order; the door wouldn't stay in place when opened half-way, and fell to the ground instead.
3. Seller to have a backflow test done on the irrigation system as required by the City of Rathdrum, or verification of test being completed in 2023.
4. Seller to have wasp nests in roof vent removed and remedied.
5. Seller to replace smoke detectors with smoke/carbon monoxide detectors.
6. Seller to have home professionally cleaned prior to closing.

Dumb, I removed the wasp nest and told them not to come back so that is already done. I didnt know smoke dectors even hard wired ones have a life span so I guess that is fair. AC and Heat work fine and inspector test so I am not happy spending 300 bucks on that... backflow test, for the sprinklers never did that before ok... Garage door is not balanced I agree but minor since the opener works fine. Cleaning yeah ok.

So I will prolly be 700 bucks or so on this stupid ass list

Back flow test is probably a test on the backflow valve.....
Not sure on the smoke detectors.. Personally if the new owner wants to UPGRADE, they need to pay for it... But, a few bucks spent isn't the end of the world here...

getting set up, the 30x40x14 is a blank slate just waiting for money to make it how I want. The bones are good, 2x6 on 24" construction, 200 amp service, natural gas, with heat, 14x12 door with a liftmaster opener. 1" closed cell spray foam

My current "plan" re-do the electric inside, add more outlets, clean up wiring, ad some 240 outlets and wiring for lift (s)

And how about that 25x26 attached garage, holds all the stuff that my previous shop held plus the cars.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg