Electrical I am DONE with ignition modules. Easy way to go EDIS?

IN2DEEP

Jan 1, 2004
I have a '90s 5.0 swapped in my Jeep. It ran great for a very long time. But the last 6-8 years it's been eating ignition modules like candy. Seriously, the latest one lasted about 6 hours of run time. I've spent so much time and effort chasing this issue that I am just DONE. I'm tired of shoving this Jeep into the garage and ignoring it.......

How do I get EDIS?

I'm not a hot rodder looking for mega horsepower. I just want dependability. I would also prefer to be able to buy replacement parts at any autoparts store. Is it possible to steal the EDIS system from an Explorer? I see a lot of conversations using megasquirt systems, but is that really needed? Is it possible to swap EDIS and maintain factory Ford parts?

Please help!

Thanks,
Drew

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about the TFI module? They are prone to heat damage and there are kits to remote them from the distriutor. Maybe your jeep install is trapping to much heat near the module?

Reactions: 1 user
Off the top of my head I don't remember which models, but a few Fords had the remote TFI from the factory (F150 with 5.0 in early mid 90's rings a bell as one).

Thanks guys, but I’ve tried remote mounting, different distributors, new and used. I’m not new to Fords or these issues. I’ve swapped most of the wiring and thrown parts at it in desparation. I’ve had two different (expensive) garages try to fix it. The factory TFI isn’t working…. And I’m done trying…….

Edis module and quad coil packs from a early 90s crown Victoria, cam sensor ( almost like distributor ) from 5.0 explorer, 36-1 trigger wheel, and crank sensor. Mspnp2 or ??? Microsquirt ???.

I grabbed all the stuff from the junkyard cheap...but I use an aftermarket ecu.

Edis module and quad coil packs from a early 90s crown Victoria, cam sensor ( almost like distributor ) from 5.0 explorer, 36-1 trigger wheel, and crank sensor. Mspnp2 or ??? Microsquirt ???.

Need a solution that doesn't require buying a new computer. Surely that's possible huh?

Reactions: 1 user

The Megasquirt and Microsquirt are both aftermarket ECMs.
Need a solution that doesn't require buying a new computer. Surely that's possible huh?
THIS is the question I'm having. Everybody seems to "think" it's possible, but nobody seems to have done it. I've found posts that "think" it's possible to get the EEC-IV ECM reflashed....but again, no real experience doing it.

The only conversations that I have found require buying a Megajolt to power the coils and using the factory EDIS system. Of course this doesn't work on EEC-IV as the wiring is wrong. So then it's suggested that I wire in a Megajolt for the ignition, and a Mega/Microsquirt for the ECM. This seems to have been done several times.

This seems like I still end up with a cobbled up system.

It seems as if it would be easier/better to just buy a Terminator X EFI system (or other), especially now that they've come out with the distributors with cam/crank sensors built in. Yeah, it's more money. But it's not THAT much more. And I end up with everything that is supposed to work together, from one supplier. Not 100% foolproof. But should be off the shelf and plug-n-play.

Is this horrible thinking??

There is a way to wire the edis to a stock computer, I believe.

Yes, it can be done with a quarterhorse tuner and a stock A9L. The A9L actually has the ability to run the edis, it’s just not activated in the stock tune.

I was originally going to go this route, before I changed to going MS3. Ultimately I kept my stock TFI setup and sold off all my EDIS stuff. I think I still have the cam sensors

theee was a bunch of threads on corral on doing the edis8 with a9x ECU. You’ll need to search, but there was a pretty detailed thread on it. Unfortunately I no longer have my links

You’ll need the explorer coil packs and mount, explorer cam sender (2-wire VR preferred over the 3-wire hall sensor) and an EDIS8 module.

Edit: quick search and found this. EDIS is pretty popular as it can be made to function stand-alone with a few inputs/outputs to an ecu. You just need a QH to adapt it to the stock ecu

this one has good info as well

64D8B5DD-9242-4535-AEF2-5909764713BB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users