I did a search and found nothing that answer my ?

I know subframe connectors have been talked about heavily, but I have one more question. I plan on getting subframes installed next week but can't make up my mind.

I was looking at MM

Standard Subframe and Full lenght, I just can't decide which one to go with.

I know full length are the best, but in what regard? Here is my comparison that I came up with, please pick one if you have subframes(not just read about them).

A. Full length vs. Standard is like cat back vs. weld in muffler. Cat back is better, more expensive and performs a tad better(hp wise) but I will not regret getting just weld in mufflers.

B. Stage 2 vs stage 1 cam. Where you will regret buy the stage 1 after awhile and spend more money to put the stage 2 cam in.

Thanks for the help stangnet

• Sponsors (?)

I have standard MM connectors on my 91, and full length MM connectors on my 99. I would do the full lengths on my 91 if I had to do it all over again. The 99 is stiffer then the 91, plus I can jack the 99 up using the connectors if I want, where as I can't on the 91.

What I am undecided is the cost factor.

The standard are $80 + $100 shop install = $180 + tax

The full frame are $130 + $125 shop install = $255 + tax

I just have a hard time justify the extra $75 for an increase of length of only 10" of so. They 'claim' that they are 53% stiffer than the standard but I just don't buy into that hype.

I figure install the standard and then if more stiffness is need, purchase some DOM tubing and weld on extra length and then weld more on top, following the MM connector, to make my own custom full length. I just feel like I am getting ripped off, and that bothers me. I figure buying the extra tubing would be cheaper, but the welding of coarse would be more but I think it would result in a better product.

Thoughts?

What really makes me mad too, is last summer they were cheaper they they are now.

Do the full length subframe connectors. The stock sn95 frame is designed to be stiff while saving as much weight as possible. The frame is very spread out and works as a thin matrix of strong points. Despite this matrix, the entire midsection of the car has a significant amount of flex considering that it has to support two separate axles.

That extra 10" of material covers the entire length of the bottom of the car from the firewall to the rear control arms- exactly the area that needs as much support as possible and that makes a big difference. A standard subframe cuts you short and doesn't fully connect axle to axle. So you end up having a weak link and a section of 10" of "normal" sn95 flex. But since everything else is stronger that focal weak area is going to experience significantly more stress/strain than before. So you will be mostly stronger but you will sacrifice a surprising amount of rigidity (the 50% figure doesn't surprise me) by going to a standard subframe and that one area is going to flex substancially more... you won't break things but I learned a long time ago, if you are going to do it, do it right. The mechanics/physics support the full lengths.

Full length subframes are by far top 3 on the bang for buck list for our cars. They will be a better modification than everything you have in your signature right now. Yeah it is $75, but after you get them on you will realize it was totally worth it. If you don't have the money now than save one more month, again, full lengths FTW.

Thanks for all the reply's and I will go with the full length. Its just hard for me to fork out the extra $40 bucks when I know they only cost MM $10 more in materials to make.

Not to change the subject but anyone run Global West Subframes? I like the round design and they are full length. I know they cost about the same as MM.

Lastly, did anyone have problems with the fuel, and brake lines that are on the passenger side of the car? I know you need to shield them but the idea of fuel being right next to my head when I help my friend at the exhaust shop put these on is not a good one.

Thanks

Do it the right way off the bat. You'll end up regretting it later. Buy them off americanmuscle.com and find a reputable shop that will do it for $150 or less and call it a day.

well I wouldn't buy them off American muscle seeing that I live about 5 miles away from MM shop.

But finding a shop to install them has been the problem. I have called around and a lot of them don't like full length on mustangs because you are welding right next to the fuel line.

I have a friend that owns a muffler shop and he wants me to help him install them because this will be his first modern car. Has install subframe connectors on lots of classic muscle cars.

well I wouldn't buy them off American muscle seeing that I live about 5 miles away from MM shop.

But finding a shop to install them has been the problem. I have called around and a lot of them don't like full length on mustangs because you are welding right next to the fuel line.

I have a friend that owns a muffler shop and he wants me to help him install them because this will be his first modern car. Has install subframe connectors on lots of classic muscle cars.

If you live only 5 miles away from MM, ask them how much they get to install them for. On their website it says they install all of their products and I would bet it's a little more than the average person but then again maybe not since they could knock it out fast.

As for the question about the other brand of connectors, I have never heard of them but that isn't saying much. If no one else has though on here then that would speak louder I guess. I'd still choose the company with all the mustang experience personally.

If you live only 5 miles away from MM, ask them how much they get to install them for. On their website it says they install all of their products and I would bet it's a little more than the average person but then again maybe not since they could knock it out fast.

As for the question about the other brand of connectors, I have never heard of them but that isn't saying much. If no one else has though on here then that would speak louder I guess. I'd still choose the company with all the mustang experience personally.

I didn't know that they did install at their shop, and have never seen it on their website(didn't look to hard though). I sent them an email asking about it and we shall see what happens.

Thanks