Engine intake manifold oil leak

but I found out soon after that it was indeed crankcase pressure necessitating the tear down.

Naturally, I've been thinking about this constantly. This may explain a lot of small things I noticed since I put the new clutch in and have been joyfully driving around in the old Cobra II.
When I went to the exhaust guy and while he had it up on the hoist I noticed that there was a fresh oil leak coming from the left side of the block near the front. I looked close and it appeared that the oil filter was leaking just a small amount. And, from closer inspection, it also appeared that the fuel pump was leaking from the bottom of the gasket. Which matched up with the drops on the floor of my garage. Also, earlier when I was changing the clutch I noticed that the oil pan had fresh oil on the bolts. At first I thought the rear seal was leaking but it wasn't the seal. I just thought it was residue from the blown power steering line or I thought those gaskets were old and possibly just weak.
So, when I got back from fishing I was determined to get rid of the lifter problem. Which I did by pulling the covers off the lifters and starting up the engine and doing a visual on the rockers. It's hard for me to hear where the noise was coming from but in a few short moments I determined that #8 was the big problem and #4 also needed to be tightened down. Gone was the noise. (Happy Camper) But first I replaced the fuel pump and gave the oil filter a little extra twist.
That was just before the horror on the highway.

I'd like to determine whether I have excessive crankcase pressure due to a broken ring(s) before I go through the replacement of the intake manifold gaskets. All the plugs look like they are burning perfect.

Is there a way to tell if there is a ring issue? Compression test? I've never done a compression test so I'd need someone to tell me a procedure to follow and I'll run out and do it.

Thank you,
Enzio

• Sponsors (?)

Naturally, I've been thinking about this constantly. This may explain a lot of small things I noticed since I put the new clutch in and have been joyfully driving around in the old Cobra II.
When I went to the exhaust guy and while he had it up on the hoist I noticed that there was a fresh oil leak coming from the left side of the block near the front. I looked close and it appeared that the oil filter was leaking just a small amount. And, from closer inspection, it also appeared that the fuel pump was leaking from the bottom of the gasket. Which matched up with the drops on the floor of my garage. Also, earlier when I was changing the clutch I noticed that the oil pan had fresh oil on the bolts. At first I thought the rear seal was leaking but it wasn't the seal. I just thought it was residue from the blown power steering line or I thought those gaskets were old and possibly just weak.
So, when I got back from fishing I was determined to get rid of the lifter problem. Which I did by pulling the covers off the lifters and starting up the engine and doing a visual on the rockers. It's hard for me to hear where the noise was coming from but in a few short moments I determined that #8 was the big problem and #4 also needed to be tightened down. Gone was the noise. (Happy Camper) But first I replaced the fuel pump and gave the oil filter a little extra twist.
That was just before the horror on the highway.

I'd like to determine whether I have excessive crankcase pressure due to a broken ring(s) before I go through the replacement of the intake manifold gaskets. All the plugs look like they are burning perfect.

Is there a way to tell if there is a ring issue? Compression test? I've never done a compression test so I'd need someone to tell me a procedure to follow and I'll run out and do it.

Thank you,
Enzio

View: https://youtu.be/X_tbksFYhl4

Reactions: 1 users
Well that took a long time...the o-ring from my compression tester came off and fell on top of the cylinder when I pulled it out.
compression test 2.JPG

Here are the results. Looks like #8 is a problem but I know nothing about how to read this.
compression test 1.JPG

As long as your O ring was still good and you performed the tests identically for each cylinder (which judging by the rest of them you most likely did), #8 is definitely bad. Time for a tear down. ☹️

#8 has a top-end issue.

A dry compression test should have all cylinders within 10% of each other (except GM, who is so un-commited to quality that they feel 30% variance is acceptable).

If you add oil to the cylinders and see virtually no change (as happened here) the problem is not rings. If it had gone up dramatically, it would be rings.

The next move should be a leak-down test.

EDIT: just saw your new post, replace the o-ring first and re-check.

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like you lost the O ring before you got to the #7 cylinder, so you most likely have good readings. But it's always a good idea to double check. It's like the old addage - measure twice, cut once. :)

The good thing is that if you choose to replace your heads you can most likely pick some up for pretty cheap nowadays, and you'll probably be able to get some that are better performing as well.

Number 8! What the heck is wrong with you. Can't kept together for a little while?!?
You just got a new clutch and a chance to get out of the garage regularly! But nooo!
Good for nothing dead cylinder. If your going to live under this roof you need a job!
You can't just let all your brother and sisters do all the work!

Sorry I'm just ranting

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Number 8! What the heck is wrong with you. Can't kept together for a little while?!?
You just got a new clutch and a chance to get out of the garage regularly! But nooo!
Good for nothing dead cylinder. If your going to live under this roof you need a job!
You can't just let all your brother and sisters do all the work!

Sorry I'm just ranting
I'm glad I didn't just tear it down to replace the IM gaskets only to have this happen again.

Reactions: 1 user
#8 has a top-end issue.

A dry compression test should have all cylinders within 10% of each other (except GM, who is so un-commited to quality that they feel 30% variance is acceptable).

If you add oil to the cylinders and see virtually no change (as happened here) the problem is not rings. If it had gone up dramatically, it would be rings.

The next move should be a leak-down test.

EDIT: just saw your new post, replace the o-ring first and re-check.

It's clear there is a problem. But could a bad valve cause the Intake manifold gasket to blow out?

The 507 or 563 HP. Would that even bolt in there? Pretty sure I'd need a new tranny for that kind of power.
I want to figure out what it is. replacing the heads is something I've always wanted to do anyway.