Engine intake

justin82

Sep 14, 2017
hey guys,

I KNOW this has been posted about a million times, I've definitely read up....BUT, there's one thing I dont thinks has been covered, and if it has, sorry....I have an explorer intake I bought, but I'm thinking about getting something from LMR....I see openings are sized are bigger on the after market....70mm, 75mm etc...can I use my stock tb with the after market intake?.....AGAIN I've done lots of reading and if I missed something, sorry

thanks for all the help here!!!

• Sponsors (?)

so, again if this has been posted sorry, but I dont think so....intake install has been done, shame on me for not paying attention, but it used to start pulling and coming alive at what I thought at about 3200- 3500RPMS...again if I looked I dont remember....now it seems to wake up at 3000RPMS....sound about right?....and if it matters, BBK shorty headers and BBK offroad x pipe(already on there, did those last year)

again, thanks

so, again if this has been posted sorry, but I dont think so....intake install has been done, shame on me for not paying attention, but it used to start pulling and coming alive at what I thought at about 3200- 3500RPMS...again if I looked I dont remember....now it seems to wake up at 3000RPMS....sound about right?....and if it matters, BBK shorty headers and BBK offroad x pipe(already on there, did those last year)

again, thanks

That reminds me of my old 93' gt aod vert. My old car had the same kind of bolt-ons and it would come alive at around 3000 rpms. But below 3000 rpms, the stock untouched HO intake made more torque. The low-end power loss was noticeable, especially with an AOD with a stock torque converter. Above 3000 rpms, it definitely made more power. It had an Explorer intake with an explorer 65mm throttle body.

Reactions: 1 user
I think all I'm gonna do is finish up with heads, and the gears, and top it off with some rear louvers....oh, is it highly recommended to do the cam as well?....or am I fine without

You are likely feeling the difference between the E7 heads and the explorer gt40 heads, in reference to where the torque/hp curve is.
But then, I could be full of :poo:.

Just in case you were replying to my response, my old 93' always had E7 heads. It was the intake manifold that was changed. I believe the Gt40 style intake manifold was made to work with the higher flowing gt40 heads, hence the worse low-end rpm range performance with the stock/more restrictive E7's. The E7 powerband seems to be more compatible with the stock HO intake power band. It just felt that it was a bit of a mismatched combo on my old stock headed 93 gt. That's why I kept the stock HO intake setup on my 91'. I still had the stock lower intake in my shed from my old 93' and decided to have my dad port it (he has steady hands). Since I had to remove the intake manifold to fix the leaky lower intake gasket and had that lower intake in the shed, I had decided to take advantage of the situation. All of the runners in the lower intake have been worked on, but the front two runners (1 and 5) were worked on the most heavily. I find the power band of this manifold to be more enjoyable than the Explorer one in my aod gt vert.

I think all I'm gonna do is finish up with heads, and the gears, and top it off with some rear louvers....oh, is it highly recommended to do the cam as well?....or am I fine without

It depends what your goals are and what kind of rpm power band you want, and of course your budget. If you want a fun street car and have a decent budget, I would use the Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body and EGR spacer, freshened Gt40p heads with better valve springs, and compXE264 cam. Heck, if you don't shift higher than 5300 rpms and still have the stock converter, I would even look into the compXE258hr cam. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1055 This is the XE264 version: https://frsport.com/comp-cams-35-349-8-fw-xe264hr-14 If you want a more budget friendly combo, then leaving the stock HO cam would be good for the gt40p combo.

Gear wise, if you drive on the expressway also, 3.73's would be a good choice. That is the gear ratio I am using. Some people like using 4.10's with AOD's, but it seems to rev a bit too high on the expressway from what I've read. The typical highway speed around where I live is 65 to 75 mph.

One thing about the gt40p's, even though they flow better due to revised ports and combustion chamber compared to the regular GT40's, you'll need to find a set of headers that will work with the different spark plug angle. There is a lot of info around regarding this topic all over the internet. If you get the regular gt40s from an Explorer (F3ZE), then it would be a good idea to have them shaven down to reduce the cc of the combustion chambers so you don't end up lowering your compression when you swap them in. The 5.0 cobra had the F1ZE GT40's which were decked/shaven from factory to bump up the compression a bit.