Introduction: I'm getting an '89 tomorrow unless you guys stop me.

jp1130

Jun 12, 2011
I've been wanting a foxbody for a while now and I think that I'm getting my first tomorrow. I'm trading my Harley that I built over the winter for it.

It's an 89 convertible.

In the past week the guy who I am trading with has put a new ignition, dist cap, tires, conv top and a few other things to get it up to par with the bike.

It used to have GT40 heads on it and is now back at stock heads, new exhaust, rhino lined undercarriage and interior under the carpet.

The only thing that concerns me is the trans. The guy told me that the trans was built for that car to take upto 600hp because he had big plans for it. He said that 2nd to 3rd needs to be powershifted or doubleclutched.

He's also giving me a set of welds on tires.

I normally would think that would mean a worn synchro but he says that it has been built like that for the track.

What do you guys think? Any help that you could provide would be great. The last thing I want right now is to be ripped off.

View attachment 186490
View attachment 186491

• Sponsors (?)

Normally if a trans is built like that, it's every gear that needs to be shifted that way. I've never heard of just doing the 2-3 shift and not the rest. How nice is the Harley?

The Harley is nice. It's an Ironhead RAT. It was a custom build that I finished. I've had a lot of offers for it but am interested in getting a mustang. I just don't want to get screwed on the deal like I said. I don't want to get rid of something worth money in trade for something of no value.

100_1153.JPG

I bet rhino lining could cover a lot of rust.

That Harley is sick. I'm not into ape hangers but if that thing had some drag bars, i would be all over it. I think i'd hold out for the next Mustang myself. All the tune up parts is like $50 if that, and the exhaust could be super cheap muffler shop stuff, and even if it's after market stuff it isn't but a few hundred unless he threw a bunch of Bassani stuff on a stock car (unlikely).

My guess...it's a busted t-5 and he's feeding you a bs story.

All. dog-tooth trans have the teeth on EVeRY gear. He should be able to provide you a receipt. I wouldn't imagine someone buying a $1000 gear set and not keeping a receipt for it.

First.... what exact transmission does he claim that's in it? Built for 600hp :rlaugh: tells me he knows nothing what he's talking about. Has to be powershifted.... ummm powershifting is when you leave the pedal to the metal while making a shift. Sounds like he means "floating the gears" which is how you drive a semi (well they tell you to double clutch too but after a while you never do) where you pull it out of gear, wait for the RPM's to drop and then push it in the next gear. I smell BS... and it reaks of a car flipper that took a car, threw a motor in it, and it trying to sell it. Half the mustangs out there are flipped by these hicks.

So you're trading a HD Rat for a 1500-2500 mustang that's ratted out? Think about it...

My guess...it's a busted t-5 and he's feeding you a bs story.

All. dog-tooth trans have the teeth on EVeRY gear. He should be able to provide you a receipt. I wouldn't imagine someone buying a $1000 gear set and not keeping a receipt for it.

I agree with you that the trans is probably broken. When my synchro's went in 3rd gear in my TKO i would have to double clutch it or it would grind, and it was fine to powershift.

I disagree that faceplated and dog ring transmission have every gear done though. When i had my TKO faceplated at liberty, i had a choice on exactly what gears i wanted done. I kept 1st and 5th synchroed and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were faceplated. I could have just had 3rd gear faceplated if i wanted to and kept the rest of the trans synchronized.

One companie i spoke with told me that i could not keep 1st synchroed, i dont know the reasoning behind this, but that is why i went with liberty

I disagree that faceplated and dog ring transmission have every gear done though. When i had my TKO faceplated at liberty, i had a choice on exactly what gears i wanted done. I kept 1st and 5th synchroed and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were faceplated. I could have just had 3rd gear faceplated if i wanted to and kept the rest of the trans synchronized.

One companie i spoke with told me that i could not keep 1st synchroed, i dont know the reasoning behind this, but that is why i went with liberty

Thanks, i was not aware you could do that. Thought it was all or none :shrug:

Thanks, i was not aware you could do that. Thought it was all or none :shrug:

I cant see much reason to just do one gear, the main reason for faceplating is because the synchros will lock you out at around 7000rpms, a well prepped synchroed box will powershift no problem.

The faceplated trans is a blast to drive though. Makes it so easy to drive in anger

Yea, you can usually choose individual gears to get faceplated, but why the hell would you only do third? Did he not plan on power shifting from first to second or third to fourth? I'm catching a whiff of BS over here...

BTW that bobber is baaaaaaad asssssssssssssssss!

Thanks a ton guys. I'm really looking forward to talking to him today because I want to let him know what all of you say about the trans.

Maybe I'll throw the Harley on eBay and try to buy a decent Mustang after.