IS MY MECHANIC ROBBING ME?

wtjames06

Jul 25, 2006
ive done quit a bit of reading and no posting here for awhile,and i hope this is the right place to post this,heres my situation,i bought a 91 gt vert,the car looked great and ran good with the exception of the top end had a loud tick,i turns out the rocker arms were the factory stamped steel stock ones,the car had a recent bottom end,new bearings,rings etc..so my mechanic is a well known mustang guy around here,so i somewhat trusted him,and told him to fix the ticking and some performance stuff would be good too,so he started with afr heads,b303 cam,70mm throtte body,polished cobra intake,timing chain,fluidyne triple row radiator,spec2 clutch ford ceramic shorty headers, roller rockers,and cleaned and painted alot of stuff...so i went on vacation and kind of just let him do what he thought was good in a mild performance sense..so he called today and said the car was ready....9200.00 im no genius but isnt that a crazy over priced estimate? hes known to be a great mechanic and mustangs is his main work,so i dont mind paying a fair price for good work,but damn thats alot of money....ant replys would be greatly appreciated beings i know very little about shop prices,and im going to see him tommorow i want to know where i stand,sorry this was so long

• Sponsors (?)

Do the math. Figure out the costs of all the items. Check a few sites where these parts are sold. (Summit, etc...) Factor in the cost of labor and there you have it. Get an itemized list of all of the parts that was used. See if he's tacking on to the price of the item installed for exra profit (if he's the one that acquired the parts for you. To be honest, I couldn't give a solid opinion without knowing a little more bbut this should get you started on working out the numbers.

Good Luck.

That's more than I paid for my entire engine..new from intake to pan including stuff like TB, Iac,egr,injectors, maf, sesors, motor mounts, clutch,porting on the heads, block and machining, oil, filter, paint,with the only pcs reused were my balancer, fuel rails and flywheel...that's stttteeeeeep.

im not really sure but depending on how long it took him and wether the stuff is brand new(which it probly is) it sounds a little over priced but thats just guessing.

I found these prices and im guessing on labor

BARE AFR heads - about 800
B303 - 170
A FRPP (not sure what he used) valve train kit about 400
Holley throttle body - about 200
FRPP cobra intake polished - 500
radiator - about 400
timing chain - 75
headers - about 320
clutch - about 330

above equals 3200 thats with no shipping or anything. then have him install them. also you mentioned him painting and cleaning things. Really he charged you mostly on labor i got most of those prices from summit and also depending on where he got his from the prices could differ but keep in mind if he painted and preped every thing himself it could have taken him a long time to do these things which will shoot up your labor hours. but i think he could have over charged you.

good luck hope someone can get more info if i didn't provide enough.

Find out how many hours of labor and what his hourly rate is. I don't know what the going rate is since I do my own work, but I would imagine around 40 bucks an hour is standard. But for 9,200 I could finish my 393, supercharge it and put in a 6 speed. Hell, I could finish my entire car.

I work at a shop and hours add up fast. we are 65 an hour I think (some others are 76) and every can of parts cleen and paint and whatever would most likely be on the bill..than all fluids and gaskets. I am not saying you are getting screwed but shops can be expencive. I would have just ordered a crate engine or had a costom engine built

Roland69 said:
I work at a shop and hours add up fast. we are 65 an hour I think (some others are 76) and every can of parts cleen and paint and whatever would most likely be on the bill..than all fluids and gaskets. I am not saying you are getting screwed but shops can be expencive. I would have just ordered a crate engine or had a costom engine built
:stupid: