It's always something. Now what do I do?

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
Reading Gregskis and Rustys threads have inspired me to dig into my car while the front suspension is off. I thought I might do a west coast/east coast kind of thing to see who gets done faster - me or Gregski. Only my threads won't be near as entertaining. And I can't find my camera. Oh well.

So last night I'm messing with finding the screw heads for the splash shields under all the undercoating. Then I take the screwdriver that I am digging with, and try to remove some of the surface undercoating on the outer portion of the apron. It takes a hammer on the end of the screwdriver, but it's chipping off fairly easily. So I keep going.

Sure would be easier to do this if the fender isn't there, so today I took off the grill, valance, rock guard, bumper, bumper supports, and the left fender. So far I have only broken two bolts. That's good for me.

Now I go to take off the right fender. All the top row bolts come out fairly easy, got the one in the door jamb, whoever had the fenders off previously chose not to put the nuts back on the studs that end up behind the kick panel so those are done, but then I go to do the one on the bottom behind the wheel well. It is just spinning. I guess I broke something here, too. I can't find a way to get back there, either. So, after all that, how do I get to whatever that bottom bolt threads in to? Please don't tell me I have to cut a hole in something important.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe this will work

Take a die grinder and cut the head off the bolt, with the fender out of the way you should be able to take care of it then. Somebody please correct me if I`m wrong, cause it could cause some trouble obviously if I am.

Thanks for the input, but you can't fit a die grinder up in that hole. Maybe I can use a dremel with a flex shaft to get up in there, but it will be tight plus the bolt will just spin I'm thinking. I have the other fender off, and I can't see any way to access the back side of the nut even with the fender off.

Now I go to take off the right fender...but then I go to do the one on the bottom behind the wheel well. It is just spinning. I guess I broke something here, too. I can't find a way to get back there, either. So, after all that, how do I get to whatever that bottom bolt threads in to? Please don't tell me I have to cut a hole in something important.
LOL, didn't I tell you there's always one. Well don't panic that same thing happened to me, on both sides I think. I am trying to remember how the hell I got those off. OK I think I remember, believe it or not the passenger side came off without me undoing that bolt because it was sorta loose and when I wiggled the fender the nut came through the bolt hole of the body of the car cause it is kinda funky, the hole in the body is almost rectangular and the bolt/nut is square. If you try this be very careful take the fender off from the front first then pull it away from the car gently, then wiggle, the fender not your body, LOL

Do you have access to an impact gun? If so you might can use a big flat head screwdriver and wedge it beween the fender and the underside of the head of the bolt and pry downward while running that impact gun....I have had some luck doing that. There is a goofy little speed nut on the back of that bolt that kind of hangs in the square hole in the frame.