JMS Velocity kit VS MPH Mongoose kit?

Fwiw, JMS is a good shop. They tune very well. I really don't think you can go wrong with either kit. I don't know their track record with this kit,but I'm sure the tune is fine.

We do have over 800 cars running the mongoose kit now. The tune is spot on,we pride ourselves on making sure every car with it last as long as possible.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't believe too much of the hype. ANY mail order tune can be off a little because of the way they are done. You can't fine tune the MAF curve on a mail order tune, so you depend on the curve supplied with the MAF or settings observed from previous dyno tunes with the same setup. Each MAF can have some variances in it, so you can only get so accurate without dyno or road tuning it. Contrary to popular belief, Tim does not have magical tuning abilities that enable him to create the "best" tunes out there. He follows the same procedures any good tuner out there does. More than likely if you compared the tunes of MPH and JMS the would be nearly identical, for the same setup.

Acutally your dead wrong. I tune totally different than most tune files I've seen from other shops. I set spark curves up TOTALLY different. SCT base files are setup on "load". I dont tune this way. I set spark curves so there is no way they will change based on load. Load tuning is dangerous in my opinion. Its a different opinion than most,but I have a track record of not blowing things up so I tend to think my way is the way to do it.
So,no two tuners are alike. Ask Jim Fitz, he went through 5 motors and his car was tuned by some of the best out there. Ask him how many motors he has gone through with me tuning it. The answer is zero.

Acutally your dead wrong. I tune totally different than most tune files I've seen from other shops. I set spark curves up TOTALLY different. SCT base files are setup on "load". I dont tune this way. I set spark curves so there is no way they will change based on load. Load tuning is dangerous in my opinion. Its a different opinion than most,but I have a track record of not blowing things up so I tend to think my way is the way to do it.
So,no two tuners are alike. If they were,you wouldn't have some that stand out above the others.
Ask Jim Fitz, he went thru 5 motors and his car was tuned by some of the best out there. Ask him how many motors he has gone thru with me tuning it. The answer is zero.

If you aren't tuning spark based on load then I stand corrected, however I still stand by my statement about the MAF. I realize you know how it works and you can create a tune based on know variables, but you can't tune for things you don't know about like variances in the MAF itself, or anything that might throw off the reading. Correcting any issues is with the datalogging as you mentioned is key, and just shows how good your customer service is. I'm not knocking here, just trying to let this guy make an educated decision. You have provided some excellent information on your product and I'm sure it will be helpful.

The JMS Velocity kit is the better deal...upgraded injectors and MAF for $100 less. There are a few guys who bought that kit over on Corral and they had no issues and got great service. If your gonna get a dyno tune then get the kit that has better parts for less $$$$
I fail to see the need for 60 lb. hr. injectors or a BA2400 on a car pushing 400-460 RWHP.

39 lb. hr. injectors and a Lightning 90mm MAF can both handle 500 RWHP.

You will need a shortblock before the 60 lb. hr. injectors.

I fail to see the need for 60 lb. hr. injectors or a BA2400 on a car pushing 400-460 RWHP.

Exactly. Steeda sends out 30lb injectors with their supercharger kits so I don't think 60lbs is that necessary. No way you will max out 42lb injectors before you blow up the motor. 03 cobra guys upgrade to 60lb injectors when they port blowers and make over 500hp.

I've never heard of the JMS kits, but I've heard sooo many good things about MPH, that if I had the money I would go to them, no questions asked. I bought a used kit in a bunch of separate parts because it was cheaper, but I had been looking at mongoose kits for a long time before then. In the end, I probably should have gotten one since it ended up being almost the same price after the tune.

But when you do upgrade...and everyone does! You will need to spend money on injectors and MAF you could have had already...The LMAF isn't always gonna get you 450-500rwhp....i've seen guys peg them under 400. Then you will shell out the $200+ for the SCT unit that you could have already had.
The JMS kit is more about the abiliity to grow...why limit yourself?

All thats required for the L MAF is a MAF X. The 42# injectors will supply enoygh fuel to blow up a stock GT engine like said. By the time you upgrade, its going to be a long time down the road. And if you can afford a new motor, you can afford some new parts.

Besides that, the 4# injectors will give more control over fuel and better milage for the time being as they will be "spraying" the fuel and helping it to mix the gas better than the 60#ers thats pulse widths will be lower. Sure its a minor difference, but for NOW the mongoose kit will supply all thats needed until your ready to start spending mega bux.

Another thing is reliability...I have a feeling you would be needing a new engine sooner than with the MPH kit.
proven reliability and reputation of MPH > less known JMS
IMHO ofcourse.

Sorry to bring up this old thread. On average how many miles less will an engine with a Mongoose kit last then a complete stock 4.6l. Could I install a mongoose kit on my new 2001GT with 20k miles and have it last to 200k?

Sorry to bring up this old thread. On average how many miles less will an engine with a Mongoose kit last then a complete stock 4.6l. Could I install a mongoose kit on my new 2001GT with 20k miles and have it last to 200k?

There are absolutely no guarantees that your motor will last 1 mile much less 100k miles.

With any type of PA, you take your chances. That's why you make it your point to find the best tuner with the best reputation for not blowing **** up.

All I know is I got a 93 octane mail order tune from MPH last Novermber and what an awesome expericence. They are friendly and very helpfull. I know that next year I will be buying a mongoose kit from them. From now on, all my major performence parts will be bought from MPH. Tim, you guys know what your doing and how to treat people right:nice:

fwiw, my car makes 440+ rwhp on a stock shortblock & i drive it everyday with MPH's tune. it's lasted a year & a half & counting. if i were a betting man, i'd say i won't replace my shortblock out of needing to, just wanting to :)

btw- my car is at the track all the time too. i do not take it easy on this car at all. last year it was at the track 1-2 times a week, nearly every week

i like the JMS for the fact it comes with larger injectors and is 100$ cheaper. both kits use a focus fuel pump which is good, and both kits probably come with very good provided tunes, although for peace of mind, i would take it to a dyno asap and get a real tune per your region/weather conditions/barometric pressure/humidity/altitude/etc anyways. besides, what most tuners will do is run little timing and richen the mixture to make sure the end user has zero knock/predetonation and is far away from the edge of the tune in the "really safe" zone, so youll likely want to get the best tune you can, and you will need dyno time for that.

Both are good kits. I just got a Mongoose kit and I'm going to install it this week. I called JMS when shopping for a kit and they told me they use 60lbs injectors because they are easier to get a hold of and keep in stock.

We put a mongoose kit onto rybo's car (I believe he's a member here) a couple months ago. Put the kit on in my garage in a couple days. It was a very nice kit with everything needed (except the punch for the oil pan).

Got everything installed on the car, uploaded Tim's tune, and the car fired right up. The thing idles great, drives great around town, and pulls hard at wot. We also installed a wideband a/f gauge and the ratio is dead on at idle, cruising, and at wot.

Big props to Tim at MPH. :flag:

I haven't ever dealt with Tim but when I go to do anything he will be my choice. It is a 45-50 hour drive down there and when the car gets a KB, it's going to MPH. I would guess that Tim's mail order might be better than some tuners can do on a dyno?:shrug:

Tim is the Man

I had the very first Novi 2000 Mongoose kit from Tim, on my 2001 GT.

The tune was as close to perfect as I could hope for, drivability was like stock, and the car put down 429rwhp/394rwtq for well over a year before I sold it.

You can trust Tim and MPH.