just bought 84 svo-let the mods begin

scorp69

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
California
just bought a bone stock 84 svo. it runs good, it reached full boost whatever it is. keeps good oil pressure and doesn't overheat. I'm planning on a front mount intercooler, downpipe, and dual exhaust. any recommendations. who has the diagram for the dual exhaust conversion. i'm gonna use the dynomax race bullets mufflers, i already have 2.5 tail pipes. the intercooler has a 3 inch inlet/outlet. also heard to switch to an 86 cam. and heard to use 93 2.3 serpentine system. is this true. thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 84 svo also and the first thing I would do at all is a complete motorcraft tune-up-plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
Next I would get a boost valve. The intercooler won't help you much if you're still running 15-16psi.
I maintain a single exhaust on every 2.3 car I have and I prefer it that way Definately hasn't hurt performance for me.
If you "want" to change the cam go ahead and get a ranger roller cam and an adjustable cam pulley.

You "could" switch to a serpentine belt system, but it would also involve changing quite a bit. Crank pulley, water pump pulley, powersteering pulley, alternator pulley, and the alt. and PS brackets due to the tensioner needed for the serp system. Of course when you change the bracket then the SVO alt may not work. I'm not sure how to change over the A/C system, I guess you would have to change the whole compressor.

thanks for the info 351. i've been waiting for an svo for a while and picked it up for $1500. the hood is damaged from it coming up. few minor details, but its 20 years old, so no worries. what year ranger cam and where do I get the adj. cam pulley? also, I have a 93 2.3 motor that i can get the serp. system from. what about the intake and tb?

After you do the all Motorcraft tuneup, I'd remove the Boost Control Solenoid and replace it with a Ric Gillis Adjustable Boost Valve, and begin upping the boost, you should be able to get away w/ 18 lbs no problem.

I'd pull the airbox, put a K&N cone on the front of the VAM.

(the two items above are the quickest/easiest to increase your smile factor).

The serpentine belts aren't going to give you any kind of performance increase, but they def look cleaner.

*change all your fluids throughout the car of course.

-all your partnumbers and links are on this board, as well as svo specific info on svoca.org.

I hope you love it like I do mine! :nice:

so you need to disconnect the knock sensor to use this boost valve?

Also, how do you know you are getting 18 psi without an aftermarket boost gauge in the cockpit??