Just discovered 1964 pace car

Its been a while, but just got the Indy Car home to KC from Idaho. The drivetrain and body are in great condition and I am sending it in for paint tomorrow. Does anyone have the paint code for the pace car "Milk White" and also for the baby blue 260 for valve covers and breather?

Also, is the undercarriage also painted the white color?

• Sponsors (?)

It would be Pace Car White (color code C). The 260 has a semi gloss black block and heads, medium blue valve covers and air cleaner (not Ford corporate blue), with a black snorkel. The underside can be a flat red oxide, black, or dark gray with expected body color overspray heavier at the edges and fading out as it gets closer to the transmission/driveshaft tunnel.

Thanks, I am looking for the color codes of the paints, so that I can order them. I have seen this information before, but not smart enough to store it in a place I could find.

I believe the color blue you are looking for is:

Attachments

• AU_EE_FordBlue_L.jpg
    AU_EE_FordBlue_L.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 181
The exterior paint color is Pace Car White, color code "C", PPG code DDL 8321. The engine blue on the valve covers and air cleaner body is very definitely NOT Old Ford Blue as described above. It has a unique PPG code of 11297. Although it is close to Old Ford Blue, it made a big difference when I finally went to PPG 11297.

I've heard one owner who says his PC was painted body color underneath, but I wouldn't say it was done to all of them. I would keep the underbody consistent with factory practices at the time. Remember, they were standard production coupes with a special paint code and decals. Even the center stripes were a dealer option available on all Fords in red, white, or blue.

Also note that the white paint was not developed especially for these Pace Cars. It's from Ford's truck line, where it was known as Frost White.

The old Ford blue was formulated for the 144 and 260 engines. The Reustoleum version always looked a little dark to me, but the Dupli-Color looks quite a bit closer being somewhat milky in color. Although not a pace car, my 64-1/2 and my 65 both appear to be red oxide underneath as is typical to the red oxide, black, or slop grey colors typically seen. I found the statement of the truck frost white interesting and had never heard that before. So out of curiosity, I checked the PPG sheet and low and behold, it listed Pace Car White and truck line Pure White as the same PPG-Ditzler 8321 formula. Learn something new everyday.

Attachments

• shw-de1621_w.jpg
    shw-de1621_w.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: 1 user
This is a new car in my registry, and it fits with the other DSO 53 cars. Let me know your email address, and I'll send an updated copy of the registry.

Jim Haskell did research long ago by viewing the individual photos of the Checkered Flag winners receiving the keys from Lee Iacocca in Dearborn at the award ceremony. Jim was able to get the names and dealerships from the name tag each Checkered Flag winning representative wore! I have a printed list at home, and I'll see if I can get it online. Unfortunately, it does not list which car went with each dealer, just a list of the dealerships.

SDGrant,

Just found this forum. I have owned 119502 since the early 80's. Jim Haskell found me in 1985 and we exchanged numerous letters concerning the searce for Pace Cars. He shared his research list with me back at that time. There was an article in the May issue of Mustang Monthly in which Jim was mentioned that really perked my interest about my car as I read it. Then Jim found me later that month and verified my car. He used a picture of my car in a series of articles he wrote for Mustang Times in April May and June 1986. My car appeared in the June issue. I have copies of all three months. I would be interested in seeing the list of cars you have verified. I checked my list, Jim had your car under the name of "Beamer". FYI. Would love to hear from you. My email is [email protected] I live in Wichita, KS. Thanks, Rodney Dodds

I just bought a 64 1/2 and found out later it's a pace car. It's a driver and in pretty good shape. California car with black plates. Date palate number matches the number on the inner fender. Has a 260, white exterior with white interior. Still has the original am radio, keys, blue air cleaner, blue valve covers, and wheel covers.
Valve covers, air cleaner and wheel covers are in the trunk. Has white paint overspray on the undercarriage. Add it to your registry and pls send me a copy. 5F07F113346 and 65A C 42 14D 71 1 6.
[email protected].
I plan to get it appraised once I have it in my possession (currently at my brother I laws) so I can make sure I unsure it properly. Will post pictures soon

-Rick Martinez

Good day Mr. Grant Roger here great stuff sir kudos for doing a registry. I saw a 65 pace car registry that someone had from a pace car they were sellling but I could not read the picture very well. Is that your registry or have you seen that one ? There are also 2 articles in mustang monthly magazine that are cool for the 65 pace car owners.I thought they were so cool I ordered the back issues. Wow I have not been able to stop doing research after I found out that my 65 mustang I have had since high school was a pace care coupe replica. I about had a cow when I saw the pace car words on the radiator grill support and all my numbers matched the research. My warranty Number Mr. grant is 5F07F119476. I would very much appreciate receiving your registry collection data. Mine is from Omaha
I am at the point where im just starting to collect the few things I need to fix her up. I thought about selling her but only to someone who would restore it properly. I don't really want to part with the beauty, she was in pretty decent shape when I stopped driving her 20 years ago. with original engine an all. Its kind of funny to see the blue it was painted when I got is turn back into pace care white. Thanks Guys an gals would welcome any advice or feedback.

This is a new car in my registry, and it fits with the other DSO 53 cars. Let me know your email address, and I'll send an updated copy of the registry.

Jim Haskell did research long ago by viewing the individual photos of the Checkered Flag winners receiving the keys from Lee Iacocca in Dearborn at the award ceremony. Jim was able to get the names and dealerships from the name tag each Checkered Flag winning representative wore! I have a printed list at home, and I'll see if I can get it online. Unfortunately, it does not list which car went with each dealer, just a list of the dealerships.

Good day Mr. Grant Roger here great stuff sir kudos for doing a registry. I saw a 65 pace car registry that someone had from a pace car they were sellling but I could not read the picture very well. Is that your registry or have you seen that one ? There are also 2 articles in mustang monthly magazine that are cool for the 65 pace car owners.I thought they were so cool I ordered the back issues. Wow I have not been able to stop doing research after I found out that my 65 mustang I have had since high school was a pace care coupe replica. I about had a cow when I saw the pace car words on the radiator grill support and all my numbers matched the research. My warranty Number Mr. grant is 5F07F119476. I would very much appreciate receiving your registry collection data. Mine is from Omaha
I am at the point where im just starting to collect the few things I need to fix her up. I thought about selling her but only to someone who would restore it properly. I don't really want to part with the beauty, she was in pretty decent shape when I stopped driving her 20 years ago. with original engine an all. Its kind of funny to see the blue it was painted when I got is turn back into pace care white. Thanks Guys an gals would welcome any advice or feedback.

Nice to hear of another found Pace Car! I own Pace Car 116036, one of two in MCA concours condition. I've never heard that the stripes and decals were not on the cars when they left the factory. There's a photo I've seen of all the Checkered Flag cars together, and each had its stripes and decals installed. Perhaps some of the Green Flag winning cars did not have these installed, but I've always thought they were installed before the dealers retrieved them from the District Sales Office. My car is a Green Flag winner from Charlotte, NC, and the salesman that sold the car 40+ years ago retrieved it from the DSO with the stripes and decals already installed.

I maintain the only complete Pace Car coupe registry that I feel is complete. What is your car's VIN and warranty plate figures? I'll add it to my list if it isn't in there already!

Steve
Steve, any way to get a copy of the 64 pace car registry? I have car number 123754. April 29 64. Build date. DSO 84.. also owned car number 114757 2 years ago DSO 42. April 16 64 build. The guy I sold it to still has it. You could add both to your list. Both are in Washington State. Thanks in advance, Robert. ([email protected])

Reactions: 1 user