keep blowing fuses (fox body)

92MGT

Feb 26, 2004
Well, i got my 91 MGT about a month ago and all was fine till i raced my friend one night.
after the race i beeped at him, but it didn't beep.
Cruise control doesn't work either.
everything worked fine B4, now it doesn't.

I put a new fuse in it, but it blew just as it went in.

Whats going on?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Ford country. Somewhere in the circuit, something touched and still is. You gotta trace it down. Did anything unusual happen while you were racing? Engine get hotter than normal from higher rpms, anything? Hit a big bump at speed? No? May just be coincedence that you were racing at the time, it is a 15 year old Ford and they do this $#i+.

I hate to be a knitpicker, but if his car is a '91, it's 13 years old. Since, my '92 has been 12 years old for around four months now.

But, on topic, I've had fuses blow for seemingly no reason, too. With a good schematic of the car and a correct guide to what circuits each fuse protects, I've been able to fix every one that blew. It could, easily, be a wire that was pinched and shorted to ground, like Stangbear said.

stangbear427 said:
Welcome to Ford country. Somewhere in the circuit, something touched and still is. You gotta trace it down. Did anything unusual happen while you were racing? Engine get hotter than normal from higher rpms, anything? Hit a big bump at speed? No? May just be coincedence that you were racing at the time, it is a 15 year old Ford and they do this $#i+.

My 14 year old LX doesn't have any electrical problems. (knock on wood)
I've had it for 7 years.
Fuses do not blow for no reason.

My advice: Check the last area of the car you last worked on and check the surrounding wires.

5.0Stanger said:
I hate to be a knitpicker, but if his car is a '91, it's 13 years old. Since, my '92 has been 12 years old for around four months now.
I don't hate to be a nitpicker, I live for it. Actually, this being 2004, and it being a '91 model year, it would have been released for sale in '90, and be 14 years old. That means build date will be during '89, so it was built 15 years ago... closer to 15 than 13. All nitpicking aside, if you have a Fox that is over 10 years old and have no electrical problems, consider yourself lucky. And don't say an F'n thing- or your luck may change.

Yeah with my cruise control doesnt' work. I checked the fuse and it was fine. I also can't move my driver's mirror up...it just goes left and right lol. I've tried different switches and mirror, but it still does the same thing.

Yesterday I had some Mexican pull out in front of me and I hit the horn, and about three seconds after letting go of the horn it was still going, so I hit it a few times and it stoped lol!

stangbear427 said:
I don't hate to be a nitpicker, I live for it. Actually, this being 2004, and it being a '91 model year, it would have been released for sale in '90, and be 14 years old. That means build date will be during '89, so it was built 15 years ago... closer to 15 than 13. All nitpicking aside, if you have a Fox that is over 10 years old and have no electrical problems, consider yourself lucky. And don't say an F'n thing- or your luck may change.

Thanks for the lesson in when and how a car's age is determined. Your advice about any Stang over 10 years old is very wise. Most knowledgeable technicians would know this.