Fox Leave it original?

OneStockNotch

Apr 15, 2020
Canada
Hey guys, long time listener first time caller lol. Ive got a 1993 Notch with 122km (around 75k miles)that ive had for the last 5 years its a 5.0 5spd factory radio delete car, no power options, no ac, bare bones and all black interior. I had the car painted when i first got it due to some minor flaws (clear flaking off and sun burnt). Car has some minor mods but i have all the original parts there. Ive been on the fence of doing some work to it like weld in subframe connectors, control arms and eventually powertrain. I know its my car and at the end of the day its up to me what i do with it but i would like to hear some of your guys opinions on leaving it stock or would it be a shame to make her a little more fun. Currently have the interior pulled out as i had planned on doing all the floors inside and out with POR15 as i thought she would be a little more rough but seems to be in great shape aside from surface rust, so thats another thing im looking to hear your opinions wheather to peel all the factory sound deadening out and fully coat the floors or leave it. See attached some pics for reference lol thanks!
B488469C-2782-41FE-AD0F-722C8C3D82C6.png
B310FE7B-05DB-433E-82D2-526AC0F6BE65.png
DB38F7EC-2972-45EB-926D-150488DFC463.jpeg
B5A06213-D914-4CC1-AC06-2A4A471FAFC7.jpeg
7478276D-083E-44DD-9F2B-9DE191244F5B.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I think a lot of folks on here are in the “leave it original” camp, which I understand...but even most of the people (myself included) who really dig an original Fox also still mod their cars or upgrade at least some things.

I’m in the “leave it looking mostly stock but do minor mods to it” camp. Keep all the stock stuff you might put back on it if you ever decided you want to sell the car but if you want to do some light mods like SFC’s, control arms, exhaust, and a shifter, go for it. You want to enjoy driving the car, right?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Unless you are holding onto this thing to send to one of those overpriced auctions one day, mod away. If you keep the original parts it can always be put back if you choose to. As far as weld in subframe connectors I would do that too. I bought my coupe brand new in 1993, within 3 months it had weld in subframe connectors.

For as long as I can remember no matter what it was , I had to mess with it. From bikes to trucks and cars I always wanted them either bigger, faster, louder or shiny. I guess I just don't see the point of leaving something as I found it without putting my touch on it. Most of the hobby for me is Rodding it in some way.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s a nice looking ride. I’m in the camp of mod away, but keep the original parts!

As far as your interior, it looks pretty good. All I would do at this point is add more sound deadener where the factory left it out!

• Agree
Keep all the original parts and maybe refurbish them over time. The sub frame connectors are the only thing you mentioned that isn't easily reversible. They are a plus in my book as long is they are quality pieces and professionally and correctly installed.

Those cars were the first to get turned into race cars so they are harder to find now. I'd keep all the original parts.

I had a customer, years ago, that had us pull his factory engine, t5, and rear because he wanted to keep the original ( numbers matching ) parts. We put a mildly built 5.0- alphabet cam, roller rockers, cobra intake, bigger injectors, MAF, z spec t5, and put 3;73 gears in a rear that he supplied us. I don't know what ended up happening with that car. Usually, the car is beat to hell before the parts ever go back in.

Whatever it takes for you to enjoy your car is what you should do. If music is life for you, put speakers and a radio in it.

Reactions: 3 users
If I got another fox, I’d be solidly in the “leave it original” camp. In fact, I would almost take it as a challenge to make the car in as close to “as delivered” condition as I could. No por-15, leave the sound deadening, dated spark plug wires, oem/nos replacement parts, etc. Id prob run 17” pony wheels but keep a nice Originsl set nearby

but it’s easy for me to say this because I also have a modded fox. If it was my only fox, id be too tempted.

If I got another fox, I’d be solidly in the “leave it original” camp. In fact, I would almost take it as a challenge to make the car in as close to “as delivered” condition as I could. No por-15, leave the sound deadening, dated spark plug wires, oem/nos replacement parts, etc. Id prob run 17” pony wheels but keep a nice Originsl set nearby

but it’s easy for me to say this because I also have a modded fox. If it was my only fox, id be too tempted.
Yeah, I think this is one of those things that becomes much easier when you have multiple Fox Mustangs. If you just have one, I think it’s too tempting to not do SOME mods to it.

I suspect nearly all of us are on this site because we enjoy modifying our cars. Personally it would be difficult to have a bone stock fox body as the brakes, power, suspension, etc. are no longer relevant in 2021 and I like to drive my car at other times than only Saturday mornings when traffic is light. It's your car. Modify it however you want. My car is stock looking, but is vastly different than stock.
20210223_101011.jpg

“Do as I say, not as I do” is strong in this thread. As I saved my current ‘Stang from a stock appearing race class, and I made my first 79 cool and quicker with a some later parts, I cannot tell you I’d leave it. Bolt ons, cosmetics and enjoy it is how I’d have to vote.

Reactions: 1 user
Over the last 14 yrs. I have done all kinds of mods to my 93GT, including the current 393w stroker controlled with an PImpXS ecu.

Honestly if I had to do it over again I would have replaced any worn suspension parts with decent upgrades, added sub frames,
slapped a supercharger on it and had fun.

But whatever you do try to save the stock parts , I still have my 70k mi. original short block that I removed.

As referenced above, and thinking about the high end auctions, or even BaT. The only cars that bring the big bucks, that everyone talks about, are original cars. Nothing against mods, but the collector like myself, may have zero interest in a car that has been modded, unless shopping for a fully modded car (coyote with IRS for instance). As you have painted it already, its full blown originality has been altered.

Again, I'd leave it alone and enjoy, and wonder by today's standards, how on earth we thought 225 HP was "fast" back in the day. I love foxbodies.

I'm on the fence, but i personally would still modify it.
I view this car kinda like a 93 cobra, i'd do all ford racing parts only.
X heads, E cam, gt40 tubular intake 65mm TB
93 cobra rear discs
3.55 or 3.73 gears

I think it can be kept all ford parts without hurting the reliability or the value.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all your reply’s. I like reading everyone’s opinions from the guys who enjoy collecting original cars and others who enjoy modding them. I believe i am going to be holding on to this car for many years yet so im going to enjoy it. It will never be a track car but more then likely it will have some tasteful mods. Starting this week... lol. Ive got some MM subframe connectors and going to order some rear control arms as im sure the 28 year old bushings have seen their day. Going to strip and repaint the floor while im under there. What have you guys used on your floors? Thanks guys