Progress Thread Let's try this again...

I've been down this road... Car smashed up from something stupid, all banged up, unibody.... It r the fukt.

Made an appointment at a Ford dealership to put it and check for damage/square. They called me up to give me the bad news:

"Uh... That will be tree-fitty"

...and I was on m way. :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have a taurus wagon (I know, why? Right?) that took a hit in the rear bumper, ahh, there was a trailer hitch (right, a trailer hitch on a taurus???) the hitch took the hit and bent the frame rails down between hitch the attaching point and the wheel wells, the shop took off the hitch, pulled the back to straighten the rails.
$450
Bang.
Done
If the trailer hitch was not there I would be replacing, no wait, I would be scrapping the car, the driver (not me) had serious whiplash.

I have a taurus wagon (I know, why? Right?) that took a hit in the rear bumper, ahh, there was a trailer hitch (right, a trailer hitch on a taurus???) the hitch took the hit and bent the frame rails down between hitch the attaching point and the wheel wells, the shop took off the hitch, pulled the back to straighten the rails.
$450
Bang.
Done
If the trailer hitch was not there I would be replacing, no wait, I would be scrapping the car, the driver (not me) had serious whiplash.
Kind of off topic, but you ever think about SHO swapping that wagon? Your towing capacity would probably be a lot higher.

• Haha
Kind of off topic, but you ever think about SHO swapping that wagon? Your towing capacity would probably be a lot higher.
That would be fun if you need the space. I can verify a SHO will pull as much as the class III hitch is rated for without a problem. Finding a rear ended one with a good interior would be a good start.

Looking at the pics, the worst of your worries is the damage to the core support. A competent body shop can pull that back to shape and weld it. It won't be as strong as before, but it should be "strong enough". The other choice would be to take the whole front end apart and install a new one. While this is a better option and stronger, it's going to be a lot more expensive for not necessarily a lot of benefit.

The bumper cover is cosmetic, they should be able to find one if they can't fix that one. Impact bars are still being made, fenders are still being made. She's fixable.

Not a chance, never happen. I only got this turd because a grandbrat decided he needed a ready made family at 19 years old. Now she's gone and so will this turd as soon as I get the title straight.

Not a chance, never happen. I only got this turd because a grandbrat decided he needed a ready made family at 19 years old. Now she's gone and so will this turd as soon as I get the title straight.

Waste of a perfectly good Taurus Wagon if you ask me. :shrug:

Maybe...

1598233997768.png

:rock:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Talked to the body shop guy I bought the car from. Apparently the whole front end was pushed to the right after the accident, so there is some minor frame damage.

He said he can put it on the frame straightener, get a new front bumper, new fender, new aprons, and blend the paint over the damage to the hood and doors. His ballpark estimate was 2500, and I’m guessing it’ll be about 3000 because I’m sure there will be something else lurking in there.

The car won’t be done until late September-early October, so that gives me plenty of time to figure out the insurance and ticket crap.

After talking more to the body shop guy, I need to buy a new front bumper, and a new header panel.

I found a bumper on lmr, but I’m having a hard time finding the header panel. All the reproduction ones are 87-, so I’ve been looking for cars that people were parting out and I found one but it’s all the way in Ohio and the car as a whole doesn’t look too great. Is rust a problem with these parts? I feel like it would be with such a thin piece of metal.

Found a header panel. It’s off of an 83, but from what I’ve read it should fit. The guy I bought the car from knows the seller, he’s going to bring it to him at some point (hopefully soon). Bought the nose off LMR, it’ll get shipped to his shop within the next week or so.

I’m a little worried about the frame damage, because I’ve read stories about cars that never drove the same even after being on a frame puller. I also had a chassis stiffening kit on it which I fear may have been bent.

Found a header panel. It’s off of an 83, but from what I’ve read it should fit. The guy I bought the car from knows the seller, he’s going to bring it to him at some point (hopefully soon). Bought the nose off LMR, it’ll get shipped to his shop within the next week or so.

I’m a little worried about the frame damage, because I’ve read stories about cars that never drove the same even after being on a frame puller. I also had a chassis stiffening kit on it which I fear may have been bent.

Or the stiffening kit helped minimize the damage! Stay positive, and you’ll get it worked out!