Progress Thread Let's try this again...

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Chicago
The wheel seems to be centered, but the wheels rub on the front bumper when turning and the whole thing feels loose. Sometimes it’s on center, sometimes it’s not. I looked under the car and saw that the sway bar bushings are cracked in the same place on both sides, and I don’t remember them being that way before the accident. I think the loose steering may be caused by cracked and old bushings throughout the system. I’m planning on replacing everything with polyurethane when I can, so hopefully that will resolve the problem. As for the bumper rubbing, that’s anyone’s guess.

B003F726-3D91-4F42-A43A-A19C6CFE07C6.jpeg

• Sponsors(?)

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
That's no. Crack in the bushing,it's a slit so you can remove/install, check out pics of new ones and see for yourself.

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Check the rag joint. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the joint. If you follow the steering shaft from under the brake booster you'll see it below the power steering pump area. Its common for them to wear out and cause an issue like you are having.

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Chicago
Those bushings are split. That’s just how they look.
AB24DB42-B0E2-46B1-B182-826A4BA25A7B.jpeg
Well now I feel like an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'm always learning something new with this stuff.
Check the rag joint. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the joint. If you follow the steering shaft from under the brake booster you'll see it below the power steering pump area. Its common for them to wear out and cause an issue like you are having.
The rag joint was something I was looking into before, and I had gotten a new ball and socket steering shaft before the accident to correct the problem, I just hadn't had a chance to get it installed. The steering has always been loose. It got worse when I cranked the steering wheel trying to get it on a flatbed (see earlier post) and now after the accident it seems to be even worse, despite the rest of the car being repaired.