Engine Lifter Replacement (W/ heads off) questions

ForeverDrivin

Jun 22, 2019
Florida
Been in the middle of replacing my 4.6Ls head gasket on a 97 GT. Before I started the work, the engine did have a ticking noise that was getting worse as time went on. I ran it for about a month and a half with that tick, and by the time I was starting the head job, the ticking was real loud with the hood open.

I've seen some videos of lifter replacement but they all used special tools for spring compression and all that. My questions are how much easier does a lifter job become with the heads off, and what are the specifics of removing and installing the cam bolts? I also have little knowledge of how lifters work, if there is a way to tell if they're the problem, I would love to hear it.

One last note; I have no idea how the lifters actually come out. Are they threaded or compressed or what?

Thanks!

Forever

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,

Yes,
You can remove lifters on your 4.6L SOHC Engine, if you take your time & do it right, there’s no need to pull the Cam. This have PI heads?
You should acquire a shop manual by Chilton or Haynes on your SN95 Mustang. You’re going to need all the torque spec’s during reassembly & the information along with visual aids will be helpful.
Lifters just sit in their bores, in most all cases they’re mechanically captured by another Valvetrain component under spring pressure.
Sometimes they get sticky (oil contaminants) and require some force, generally slide right out when not captured.
Rather than typing it up, this is relatively similar to the method I’ve used:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRrpQXGlNs

Lifters 101:
Lifters (Hydraulic) have small orfices on their undercut sides, where the oil flow under pump pressure reaches them from passages in the block, pressure rises, they pump up (become solid), simple check valves retain internal pressure for a short time period.
They also maintain oil flow out the top, through the pushrod to lubricate other Valvetrain components. They are highly vulnerable to contaminants in Engine oil, as this may prevent them from regulating pressure by clogging the simple internal check valve function, losing internal pressure required to push a heavy valve spring, causing excess clearances in the Valvetrain, hence; the “click”. Low oil pressure or flow by restrictive oil passages, (sludge buildup, which is mostly burnt oil reverting back to unrefined crude, packed with normal bearing/piston wear over time) incorrect oil type or viscosity, lack of oil changes all may also cause similar issues.
Lifters are generally called “lash adjusters” in OHC app’s. Ford’s 4.6/5.4L SOHC & DOHC motor’s of this genre’ are a rare exception.
I’m unclear on why you pulled the head.
Had a blown head gasket, yet you ran it...what precisely occurred there?
Did you have any cross contamination (Coolant in your Oil & vise versa)?
Cams rotate 360 Deg. for every 720 Crank degrees in a 4 stroke engine.
Was the ticking speed commensurate to engine rpm’s?...(engine rpm increases, tick frequency increases).
. This frequency can yield clues in regards to engine noise produced be the Valvetrain or the reciprocating assembly (Crank/Rods/Pistons). The location & tone of the noise may also clue you in as to what’s causing it. “Clicks” are often Valvetrain, deep “knocks” are often sometimes main or Rod bearings, etc..
An automotive Stethoscope is a useful tool in detecting noise locations externally on a running motor, a long screwdriver held to the ear & on a valve-cover, etc is also useful.
A phone running a sound detection amplifier app will also help locate a noise at it’s loudest in a pinch.
Other questions, ask away..
-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
93silverlx50 Question About Replacing Lifters With Trick Flow Heads Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
P Romove Gt40p Heads To Replace Frpp Hyd. Roller Lifters??? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
5 Timing Issue? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 56
P Progress Thread Anyone Have Any Experience Replacing 06 Mustang Gt Lash Lifters 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
Ivan Cheranev Engine Bad Noise. After Hydraulic Lifter Replacement 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 32
joetrainer31 Engine Lifter Replacement 101 (+pics) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
joetrainer31 Engine Roller Lifter Replace 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
stang1986GT Two more questions for header gasket replacement (air pump and lifters) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
stykthyn replacing lifters a must?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
A 2 lifters are bad...which stock replacements do I need to order? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
D Replacing lifters and possibly cam?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
Busted07 Selecting replacement lifters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
woodyy24 replacing timing chain and lifters. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
dilligaf replacing lifters, please help. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
L Camshaft and lifter replacement?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 26
jeffnoel Lifter replacement 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
M replaceing lifters? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
R Engine fms roller lifters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
S Suggestions for cam,lifters, and valve springs. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
D Engine 2001 Mustang GT 2 Valve 4.6 No Oil Pressure. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
GT1966 Engine Lifter Removal - Windsor Jr. Iron heads Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
droopie85gt SOLD Lunati Hydraulic Link bar Lifters, Engine and Power Adder 1
Mstng93SSP Has anyone used the tool to hold lifters up for cam change? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 28
Ultra90GT For Sale Comp Cams 838-16 Solid Roller Lifters Engine and Power Adder 1
D All lifters bad? Doubtful but maybe 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 11
S Engine Cylinder Head Cracked Lifter Bore SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
S Engine Fresh build lifter noise Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 18
Enzio Engine Hydraulic lifter adjustment-problem solved 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
R Engine lifter dog bone Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
R WTB/Trade need 1 lifter dog bone Engine and Power Adder 1
B Is this normal for hydraulic lifters? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 1
Blucifer99 Engine suspected lower intake leak into the lifter valley... any tests to confirm out there? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 18
Whoohoo2260 Is this a stuck lifter or something more serious? 1973 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
Ultra90GT SOLD Comp Solid Roller lifters SBF 838-16 Engine and Power Adder 2
U 351c 2bbl cam/hydraulic lifters problem/ choice 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 10
Creomod Engine Stock rocker install w stock used lifters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
Ian Ranchero Experience with summit cams and lifters? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
lizzard Engine bad lifter? is it possible to test lifter before removing lower intake? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
hoopty5.0 Update! Lifters are fine, the mechanic is the problem. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 16
87 black gt Lifter length 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
MoDriver SOLD 5.0/302 Roller Lifter Valvetrain/Cam Components Engine and Power Adder Parts 0
PakstinN Bent 302 Cam?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
mustangramair SOLD Tfs Stage 1 Cam, Tfs Valve Springs, Hydraulic Roller Lifters Engine and Power Adder 0
W Engine Tabs In Lifter Valley Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
85_SS_302_Coupe Cheapo Solid Lifter Diy For Checking Ptv Clearance/questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
rhaines751 Broken Lifter Retainer 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
W New To The Site And In Need Of Some Help!! The Welcome Wagon 11
GrandmasterK Which Cam And Lifters To Go With... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
W Engine 98 Ticking Noise (comes And Goes) SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
D Lifter Problems Too Much Pump Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2