Engine Locking header bolts

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
How many on here use " stock" header bolts vs the locking type?
I have some remflex gaskets but not sure if I should upgrade to the locking type bolts.... never used em before, why start now??

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve been using the Proform header bolts for years now and they work great without the need to install physical locks on the bolts.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve used the proform wedge lock, as well as the mr gasket headlock bolts, and I prefer the mr gasket ones since they have an Allen key hole along with the 6 point hex.

Both work well and have serrations to dig into the flange though.

I’ve used the proform wedge lock, as well as the mr gasket headlock bolts, and I prefer the mr gasket ones since they have an Allen key hole along with the 6 point hex.

Both work well and have serrations to dig into the flange though.
I thought these breslens looked a bit much.....
1656335345433.png
1656335345433.png

I’ve used bolts that came with headers and been just fine. Most important thing is you run through the torque sequence several times until they all take the same amount and don’t budge. Then tighten again after a couple heat cycles.

If the flange is square and you use a mls style gasket, the bolt style doesn’t matter.

I’ve used bolts that came with headers and been just fine. Most important thing is you run through the torque sequence several times until they all take the same amount and don’t budge. Then tighten again after a couple heat cycles.

If the flange is square and you use a mls style gasket, the bolt style doesn’t matter.
The last time I used headers on a car was on my Z28 in the late 70's,,,, Curious on whats new in products..
DSCF1038.JPG

Last edited:
I have Motorsport headers on my Saleen. Stock bolts will not work with those headers as the bolt heads are too big. I went with a set of just standard arp header bolts. Never had an issue. All I did was retorque the bolts after a couple heat cycles. Close to 50k miles now since I put them on.

Reactions: 2 users
If you put bbk headers with there thicker flanges you need longer bolts, I had to get longer ones and went with the locking ones.

If I try a set, I think it will be the Proform header bolts... There system is a head and washer that have locking tabs that lock against each other, unlike the MR Gasket that grip into the header flange...... No allen head provision though.......