Progress Thread Long over due roadster update

roadsterII

Founding Member
May 4, 2001
West Michigan
Hi Guys, it’s been years since I’ve last posted here but this is the first II site I joined and thought I’d give a long over due update.

Between work and other projects the roadster sat for many years.

Last fall I finally started back on it to get it done.

Due to the virus shut down my position was eliminated at work so I’ve now had a bunch of time to work on the roadster.

My plan is to have it done in the next two years, money permitting.

Changes made recently were to remove and replace what was left of a roll cage with different structural bracing, remove what I made in sheet metal before between the café tonneau deck humps and finished the back trim between the tail light bezels I made.

Currently I’ve been smoothing the back fenders and deck out on the car with the next step to make mounts for the front fenders and rework the hood / cowl.
Hopefully before winter getting the thing in primer and then start with the motor/transmission mounts and other mechanical components.

I’ll keep you posted as progress is made.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4935.JPG
    IMG_4935.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5130.JPG
    IMG_5130.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5254.JPG
    IMG_5254.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5252.JPG
    IMG_5252.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5263.JPG
    IMG_5263.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I like it..I think it’ll be very cool. And admittedly, something i’ve considered doing to my car as well.
In the far off distant future.
Im guessing no windows anywhere except the windshield then? No removable top?

Hi All, thought I'd give an update on the roadster. Since I moved the firewall back 10" and lowered the cowl down, I had a big gap from the back of the hood to the new firewall and needed to have a cowl to mount the bottom window trim too. Sooo, purchased a cowl from a wrecked II (thanks David!) replaced the vents with solid panels, cut the cowl up to fit (somewhat for now) and then cut it in two. From there, welded the front of it to the back of the hood and welded in a 66 GT350 steel hood scoop. Looking at the old cowl vents gave me the idea to use them on each side of the hood scoop. One other change was to move the under structure back to support the new metal added. Now the fun part, I need to climb into the engine bay and figure out how to put hood hinges on it and were to mount them in the engine bay. On a personal side of things, I'm starting my own business so time for the roadster may slow down a bit. Thanks all.
IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_5644.JPG
IMG_5749.JPG
IMG_5758.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5749.JPG IMG_5758.JPG

Reactions: 8 users
thanks, when I made the cut through the cowl and the front of the hood opening, I welded in a 1/8x1/2 wide strap of metal to strengthen the edges. my welds look like crap in the photos but their actually a bunch of tack welds done one at a time. I was seeing dots after I was done. Now I have a bunch of grinding to smooth out the welds.

Love it!
I can see now what it looks like with the extended hood, I thought about that myself...Also thought about deleting the cowl vents as you have done.
I must admit I am still considering hood extractors also to help get heat out of that cramped engine bay, but never thought to use the cowl vents! Way to recycle! looks great thanks for the progress updates, and keep 'em coming...