Look whats rotting out at the storage place I use.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you even read the link you posted? Most of the fast ones (mid-12's and quicker) have a whole grocery list of things done to them (built bottom end, full exhaust, cam, head work, turbo upgrades, intake mods, intercooler upgrades, ignition upgrades, drive train upgrades, etc, etc) most of which are running race gas to boot. Now you explain to me how any of that is cheap, or "basic bolt-on" like you're claiming? :scratch:

I didn't insinuate that they couldn't be made fast, I stated that they weren't much of a threat to anything modern. That and their street manners disappear in a hurry after you really tear into them. And judging by the amount of parts and work that most of those guys have into them in order to run mid-12’s and high-11’s, they're not very cost effective either?

Either way, my comment wasn't intended to spark an argument about how fast someone could make their Turbo I-4 when they throw their visa at it. My point was that although they're considered a great collector, the cars themselves in stock trim are quite overrated from a performance standpoint.

The ones with the basics in your link seem to be running anywhere from mid-14's all the way up to mid-16's.

...which is about par for the course and what I figured.

I really don't see how this helped your point? :shrug:

My point was that although they're considered a great collector, the cars themselves in stock trim are quite overrated from a performance standpoint.

The ones with the basics in your link seem to be running anywhere from mid-14's all the way up to mid-16's.

...which is about par for the course and what I figured.

The SVO mustang was sold from 84 to 86 and during that time they were considered the fastest, most expensive version of a mustang available by just about anybody. I don't think anybody has over rated them at all because they were at one time king chit. Collector wise I don't think they get enough credit because they sell for nothing in most cases and are getting very rare. Also no one is making claims in this thread that they ran 11.0's out the box or something out of this world or completely unbelievable like that... like everything there are exceptions to the rule and some will be faster then others... I personally seen Saleen8687's svo run 13's with nothing more then boost and timing bumped up with 93 octane and although I will never bring myself to own a I4 car I had respect for it.

All i'm saying is that with a small amount of money and some ingenuity you can have a really quick car that'll surprise the hell out of the V8 guy in the next lane. "Potential" is the key here.

well your 410hp cat runs 13.0's right? and has all that work done to it and the 4 cylinders are still faster and its not like they have a whole lot more mods...

I’m not sure how we dragged my car into this, but whatever….

I actually got it into the 12.9's this summer, but close enough. It's got a lot more power and quicker ET’s on the table if I can ever get around to installing this manual timing adjuster on it and backing the 4R70W with the right converter 4R70W but that's neither here, nor there at this point. It runs what it runs. And my 410hp is an estimated flywheel rating....not at the rear wheels like I’m sure you’re assuming.

What I think what you're forgetting to notice here is that I'm running a much bigger and heavier car with an automatic transmission and IRS compared to a sub-3,000lb solid axle car backed with a 5-speed.

If you wanna compare apple to apples, take your average high-12/low-13-second SVO on that site, then add 1,000lbs....since that's about the weight difference between our two cars (most of which is in the nose BTW), back them with a power sucking AOD, then for fun lets equip them with an IRS rear end out of an '03-'04 Cobra and see how well they run or how fun they are to drive on the street? ;)

Suddenly it's not so comparable anymore, is it? :D

And FYI, I've got way more work done to my car than was necessary. I could have easily and safely pulled these numbers without the built bottom end, ported heads, converter, or the Kooks headers, but my original plans were to go with a much larger screw blower under the hood. As it turned out, the company stopped making the kit right before I ordered it and had to go with what was available. So now I've got an engine and drive train combination that's built around a projected 600rwhp set up and a blower kit that's not capable of pressing past the 350-400rwhp mark. :(

Had I known things were going to go this way, I could have saved myself a lot of money and work. But hey...waddaya gonna do? My goal with this car wasn’t got go after John Force, it was to build a maintenance free sleeper that made for a great daily driver. And as it sits I still maintain better than stock drivability, make a minimum of over 350rwtq from 1,900RPM to redline and knock down 25mpg while doing it.

Mission accomplished!!! :shrug:
The cars i know of that make 300hp have simple things like gutted intakes and ported exhaust manifolds and junkyard intercoolers.

This guy is running 12s and i highly doubt he has as much money in his 2.3 as i do in my 5.0 to run the same times.

Home of Turbo 4 Cylinder Mustang

That's cool and all, but how can you honestly compare the cost of used parts to one and other and consider it an even evaluation? Once the parts are used, their value goes out the window. I know guys who've gotten used stuff four about 75% of their new value, while others get theirs for nothing. If you want to make a fair comparison, the only way to really do it is price out their retail value and compare from there.

And I mean look at this thing....he built his entire induction set up with the Home Depot and Lowes plumbing section. I'm sure it works and all, but it ain't pretty, nor it it typical.....and I'm quite certain it's not OEM compatible either. The first good bump in cold weather and the plastic ABS pipe is as good a junk. And look at the amount of work he's got into it?!? How many hours has he spent?

I mean...lets be reasonable here. Do you want to compare average owners, or are you wanting to compare the most budget conscious tight wads who don't care what their car looks like, as long as it gets from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. I know plenty of 5.0L guys who've jerry rigged their way into the 12's....even the 11's with this same line of thinking and ugly packaging, but it's hardly what I would call your average street set up, or for that matter very time vs. cost effectiveness. :shrug:
The SVO mustang was sold from 84 to 86 and during that time they were considered the fastest, most expensive version of a mustang available by just about anybody.
Well....you got one of those two points correct. They were certainly the most expensive Mustangs built to date (which is probably why they didn't sell very well). They were no means however the fastest! As far as statistics go, maybe you’re remembering their performance on the open track. To which I will agree that it was king (of North American cars.....2nd only to the Corvette if I remember correctly), but acceleration wise the GT with its 5.0L HO still beat them quite handily during all three years of their production.

Don't believe me....check out the stats for yourself! :D
All i'm saying is that with a small amount of money and some ingenuity you can have a really quick car that'll surprise the hell out of the V8 guy in the next lane. "Potential" is the key here.
You're absolutely correct...and I never argued that, but why are you saying this as though this is a statement that only applies to I-4 Turbo Mustangs? Why not the V6 guys, or MN12 guys....or any other lesser performing car made for that matter? I mean.....the 5.0L guys are saying this same thing about their comparison to GM's LS1 cars.

This isn't exactly an original idea cooked up by you turbo-four lovers you know? :D

I wasn't talking about value, just the performance potential of an SVO....you guys are taking it way further than i was. I'm just sayin...I can put a very small amount of money into an SVO and destroy a 5.0. It may not last 100k miles, it may not be pretty, it may use junkyard parts, but it's gonna be fast and that's my point.

Talk about the mother of all derailed threads :lol: