Looking at Vortech kits for my Cobra, what else will I need?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Poking around at the idea of putting a V3 Vortech on my Cobra. Did a search and really didn't come up with a solid answer. What other (if any) supporting mods will I need? The car has longtubes, o/r X, and a CIA right now. Also has some sort of tune on it that I will have to disable (I think it is an older plug in chip). I plan to get the car tuned, but if I'm only running the stock 7-8psi will I still need a GT pump, bigger injectors, etc?

Thanks

• Sponsors(?)

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
www.cardomain.com
Upgrading your fuel pump is a great idea and I would get at least 42 pound injectors. You will also need a new mass air meter as well. The stock rails and fuel lines will suffice you for now. And yes when you get the car tuned they can either reburn your chip or you can get a programmer to load tunes etc.

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Upgrading your fuel pump is a great idea and I would get at least 42 pound injectors. You will also need a new mass air meter as well. The stock rails and fuel lines will suffice you for now. And yes when you get the car tuned they can either reburn your chip or you can get a programmer to load tunes etc.
OK, that is kinda what I figured, that being the case, it sounds like it would be better for me to buy one of the tuner kits instead of a regular kit (IE: Vortech 4FR218-050SQ - Vortech Centrifugal Supercharger Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com ). Sound about right? I want to get a V3 unit though as I don't feel like punching a hole in the oil pan. I could use 42lb'ers, a lightning MAF, and what, a Focus pump or a GT pump? I'm not very familiar with the returnless system mods.

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Yup the V3 will save some time and not needing to tap the oil pan. I have a V2SQ on my GT but I have leftover parts (bracket/belt/discharge pipe from a Bullitt/Cobra application) if you are interested in piecing a kit together.

I have 36lb injectors and a SVT Focus pump, stock pulley and minimal engine bolt ons and put down 380/378. With the freer flowing 4v heads over 400 should be easy for you.

My tuner returned my car to stock from my Diablo and simply flashed the computer using a laptop and SCT software. My programmer is currently unmarried so you do not necessarily need to buy another chip or programmer to have it tuned, they can simply flash your current chip or just flash the ecu.

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
According to the previous owner it has a Diablo sport chip in it. I haven't pulled the EEC yet to confirm. I might pull the K member and pan before I do the S/C as I have a header leak that I think can only be fixed by replacing the LT's. So since I'd be down there, might as well pull the pan and put an AN fitting in it for a drain. I would prefer a V3 head unit, but according to Vortech's site most of the kits for my car have been discontinued (even though they are listed on AM and Summit still). So I might end up piecing together a kit. Still planning though, need to finish gathering parts for my 91 to do a H/C/I swap as it is slow as balls. I want to have an idea of what I'm getting into though to make sure I don't run out of money halfway into it. :p

Josh: Was that 380/378 at the wheels?

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
Who do you plan on doing your work if not yourself? More importantly, who is tuning the car? You should have a solid 11 second car with 7-8psi.

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Who do you plan on doing your work if not yourself? More importantly, who is tuning the car? You should have a solid 11 second car with 7-8psi.
I'll do all the mechanical wrenching myself. Talking to a guy in SA right now about the tuning. I would normally do that myself also, but I know there isn't a lot of room for error on a boosted car.

Winters98GT

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
I'll do all the mechanical wrenching myself. Talking to a guy in SA right now about the tuning. I would normally do that myself also, but I know there isn't a lot of room for error on a boosted car.
Who, Lethal Performance, Henderson, or Murrilo, or another? Bring the car to Houston, you will be glad that you did. I've dealt and seen the work of most of those guys, it is worth the $50-75 in gas to get the best tune on the car.

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Who, Lethal Performance, Henderson, or Murrilo, or another? Bring the car to Houston, you will be glad that you did. I've dealt and seen the work of most of those guys, it is worth the $50-75 in gas to get the best tune on the car.
I was talking to Ron at Bell Automotive, was also considering Lethal. I don't have a problem going to Houston, but I don't know any shops there, and I don't know what kind of condition I'm going to be limping the car around in since I can't trailer it.

Winters98GT

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
I was talking to Ron at Bell Automotive, was also considering Lethal. I don't have a problem going to Houston, but I don't know any shops there, and I don't know what kind of condition I'm going to be limping the car around in since I can't trailer it.
Gforce. Lethals new Z06 that put down 1000rwhp this week is nice, but they have little on the Houston guys. Mike will get you setup with a great tune.

Winters98GT

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
Any idea what a tune normally costs? Or what software they use?
About Us |

I'm a die hard tune guy, I'll drive 1000 miles if I need to, fortunately, we have 3-4 great shops here in Houston, 3 that tune mustangs, which are top notch.

I don't have pricing on them since I am not a vendor, but it would be your standard street/dyno tune. Ballpark would be 400-600, if I had to guess, which is standard in the industry.

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
About Us |

I'm a die hard tune guy, I'll drive 1000 miles if I need to, fortunately, we have 3-4 great shops here in Houston, 3 that tune mustangs, which are top notch.

I don't have pricing on them since I am not a vendor, but it would be your standard street/dyno tune. Ballpark would be 400-600, if I had to guess, which is standard in the industry.
Sounds average then. I'll have to check them out when I get to that point, thanks for the info!

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
www.cardomain.com
Is an aftercooled T trim kit too much, can I pulley it down? Found one for sale at a decent price.
You can pulley it down but the problem is that blower is going to want to scream up top, where the sq ir si will scream in the lower end also. You will have to spin that t-trim pretty hard. You would be better off going with the si trim but a good deal is always hard to pass up. I wish I would have a t-trim on my car for the future mods I have planned. Being as you have the cobra....you MAY be ok with a t-trim, I just know several gt's that have t-trims and they lost a good amount down low, but being the 4v, you may be ok:shrug::nice::flag:

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Visit site
You can pulley it down but the problem is that blower is going to want to scream up top, where the sq ir si will scream in the lower end also. You will have to spin that t-trim pretty hard. You would be better off going with the si trim but a good deal is always hard to pass up. I wish I would have a t-trim on my car for the future mods I have planned. Being as you have the cobra....you MAY be ok with a t-trim, I just know several gt's that have t-trims and they lost a good amount down low, but being the 4v, you may be ok:shrug::nice::flag:
Yeah that had occurred to me. The after cooler is a nice bonus and will give me room to grow. I'll be limited by my stock rods and pistons at first, so I don't think I'll get anywhere near this blower's potential.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S WTB/Trade Looking for Vortech aftercooler/Maxcooler of FMIC kit Engine and Power Adder Parts 0
F Does anyone need or is anyone looking for a 99-01 Vortech Aftercooler kit? SVT Tech Forum 2
Mr. Rustypwnz looking for a car? 99-00 gt red with a vortech? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
B looking for a vortech s or t trim for 5.0 Engine and Power Adder 0
99FiveOh Vortech oil supply, look and see if I have it right 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
D I looking for a vortech supercharger seal part number? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
9 Looking for a p1sc or vortech 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
H Adding Factory Look Air Conditioning to 70 Without It 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
J New to the forum and looking forward to some expert help The Welcome Wagon 1
J Looking for 2005 GT OBD2 idle sensor reading 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
4 Who was looking for 200 ci motor mounts ? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
4 Who was looking for 200 6cyl motor mounts ? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
S Electrical 1995 Mustang GT slight hiccups/hesitation at around 2k rpm looking for a fix for the dreaded code 212 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
S WTB/Trade Looking for a 1999-2004 axle housing Drivetrain Parts 0
M Looking for clips to attach the rocker panel moldings and trim on a 1970 Mach I - any help is apprciated Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
K How does this look in terms of a list of mods for my '04 3.9L v6 SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 9
nickyb Fox Looking at going back to a stock air box? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 32
6 Looking for friendly san antonio inspection! Regional Forums and Event Information 1
T Decent deal on these cars? Or keep looking? 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 4
A Fox Looking to buy fox top 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
D New Member Looking .. The Welcome Wagon 2
R New member looking for louvres 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 11
R New member 2000 Mustang,looking for guidance. The Welcome Wagon 3
860 Fox Forced Induction 351W fox going to On3 kit looking for suggestions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
J Idle issue still!! Replaced several parts.. looking for more ideas!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
P Looking to get a Intake plate 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
F looking for a little insight on a 302 swap for a 99 stang 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 6
L Just bought 2010 GT with 38k, what should I look out for? 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 4
65Stang86 WTB/Trade Looking for used edelbrock 7121 performer rpm intake manifold Engine and Power Adder 0
S New Guy 2003 GT looking for intake manifold upgrade recommendations SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
T Looking for 5-0 carb swap help in exchange for documented tech. The Welcome Wagon 1
C Looking for some suspension advice. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
M WTB/Trade Looking for 2000-2004 Salvage GT SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) 0
derek2079 Looking for these 67/68 side scoops. Pic included. 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
DarkFox Electrical I've searched for wiring diagrams but did not find what I was looking for. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S Old Foxbody owner looking to own again. The Welcome Wagon 4
W Newbie looking to identify or confirm a 93 Cobra Engine? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 37
T Looking for 1976 parts suppliers 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 5
L Looking for a Fox: All Advice Welcomed 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
79pace Moates / TwEECer / MicroSquirt? Which one should I look into? Digital Self-tuning Forum 16
W Drivetrain Hello from a new Fox Body owner in Florida! Looking for advice on Immediate things to address re: steering, radiator, seat Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
A new here looking for quality of life upgrades for my 1971 Mustang 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
D Looking for notchback The Welcome Wagon 2
jenrik Looking for a fender 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
M Looking for feedback Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S Looking for all things great! 2000 Mustang Gt (Raush w/o the supercharger) for now. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
9 Looking For Recommendation For OEM Style Clutch 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
C how to change the ignition on a mustang I just want to know I've been looking around and I can't find it for a specific year and Mom for a mustang II 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 9
S How do I look? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
W looking for trans line connectors 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 0