Looking for advice on 5.0 swap/build

Tylerhenry1998

Jan 4, 2020
Michigan
I have a 1991 grand marquis with the stock efi 5.0 it runs great but is pretty anemic I was looking at cams and found one specific for my non ho firing order but the problem is that it's my daily and really dont want to play around too much with it perfectly good engine. So I was thinking of picking up a junkyard engine to build up now my junkyard has plenty of great explorer 5.0s and a few mustang's and a handful of lopo efi 5.0s.
I was thinking of getting a town car efi and building it up because all the brackets and accessories would bolt right up and taking the gt heads and a mustang cam (not from junkyard) or an aftermarket cam. The other reason for the town car block is I feel itd be less abused than a mustang and maybe I could leave the bottom end alone
I know there's a few other things I'd have to do like dual exhaust mustang comp and maf swap?

I'm sorry for rambling I'm new here and have lots of questions like would all of that be worth it or just get a explorer motor and jam a cam in there and call it a day

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Welcome to stangnet
Now about that non ho engine you got there.
A little research is needed to understand what you need to put a little kick in the sled.
The crown vic/grand marque is a heavy weight so you need torque to get it rolling. The engine in there is a low compression 5.0, like 150 hp and 265 lb ft of torque so not much you can do about it without a piston change, a short cut would be to find an explorer engine, they have a good bump in compression with a better head but the cam is the ho firing order. I believe in order to use the ho firing order some rewiring and a computer change is in order. This may be more than what you want to do for a daily driver.
Here is what I would do:
Get the explorer engine, this way you can still drive the heap while working on the engine, you can swap a non ho cam in, I would look into a custom grind but they get kinda pricey but I think well worth the extra bucks.
Use the explorer intake and throttle body.
Long tube header, you can keep the exhaust as is but you will need to add catalytic converters with an aftermarket h pipe or add a set of shot tube headers that bolt up to your head pipes (cheaper option)
Shift kit for the transmission
The most important part will be a gear change in the rear, it is the 8.8 and likely is a traction lock, I would do a 355 ratio but some would go bigger since it is an automatic.
Stick with the stock air box with a K &N filter.
That will get some pep in that sled.
Remember, it weighs 4000 lbs

Reactions: Tylerhenry1998

Tylerhenry1998

Jan 4, 2020
Michigan
Welcome to stangnet
Now about that non ho engine you got there.
A little research is needed to understand what you need to put a little kick in the sled.
The crown vic/grand marque is a heavy weight so you need torque to get it rolling. The engine in there is a low compression 5.0, like 150 hp and 265 lb ft of torque so not much you can do about it without a piston change, a short cut would be to find an explorer engine, they have a good bump in compression with a better head but the cam is the ho firing order. I believe in order to use the ho firing order some rewiring and a computer change is in order. This may be more than what you want to do for a daily driver.
Here is what I would do:
Get the explorer engine, this way you can still drive the heap while working on the engine, you can swap a non ho cam in, I would look into a custom grind but they get kinda pricey but I think well worth the extra bucks.
Use the explorer intake and throttle body.
Long tube header, you can keep the exhaust as is but you will need to add catalytic converters with an aftermarket h pipe or add a set of shot tube headers that bolt up to your head pipes (cheaper option)
Shift kit for the transmission
The most important part will be a gear change in the rear, it is the 8.8 and likely is a traction lock, I would do a 355 ratio but some would go bigger since it is an automatic.
Stick with the stock air box with a K &N filter.
That will get some pep in that sled.
Remember, it weighs 4000 lbs
Ok thank you now I've got a sense of what to do also I do have a mustang a 95 gt not just that grand marquis I thought of the grand marquis forum but all those guys tell me is "it's just fine the way it is it's not meant for speed" I agree to a point, 150 is just unacceptable I figured I'd get more mod advice here
Here's what I'm planning is a explorer motor with a mustang or maybe a more aggressive cam that'll work with the stock explorer pistons and heads an pushrods. The firing order isn't an issue I want to upgrade to a maf sometime in future and from what I hear the computer will plug right in other than the maf. Now the exhaust I was planning on dual for awhile I know someone who owns a shop that can get me a deal where I get kinda lost is the pumpkin gear I have a open diff I want something that is driveable on the freeway.
And as for the trans I keep hearing about shift kits and stall converters I'm not sure what they are or what they do but I really don't want to play with the trans I just had it rebuilt (apparently for the first time in its life it, was the tv cable bushing that grenaded the trans) it got about 1500 miles mostly high way. I'm not looking for anything crazy just something more than the gutless lopo 5.0
Also I'm retiring the car as my daily at some point its really undriveabe in Michigan winters

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Engine Looking for advice on a cobra swap into a gt SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
G Looking for 350 swap advice Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
HardmanGT looking for 351 swap advice Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
C Looking for some suspension advice. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
L Looking for a Fox: All Advice Welcomed 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
W Drivetrain Hello from a new Fox Body owner in Florida! Looking for advice on Immediate things to address re: steering, radiator, seat Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
H Looking for advice on engine combo 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
Z Looking for Throttle Body Spacer and CAI advice 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
a91what Looking for Idea/advice on build 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 205
F Proud 2kGT Owner Looking for Info The Welcome Wagon 1
S New to the forums - Looking for Quality Mods and Advice 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
B need advice looking at a 2002 saleen non super charger 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
B Car sat for a few years, looking for some advice SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
E New To Here. Looking For Advice On A 4.6 2v Build SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
G New Here Looking For Some Great Advice! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 63
Jason Esse SN95 New Guy Looking For Advice On 94 Cobra 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
N Looking For Cam Advice. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 22
Mycelus Looking To Buy A Gt, Any Advice For A First Time Buyer? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 8
T Bearings Look Bad? Advice :( 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 32
P Looking For Advice On What To Buy 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
C New To Stangnet: Looking For An Estimate/pricing Advice On 03 Mustang The Welcome Wagon 0
wolfe67 Looking For Advice On A Good Place To Have My Foxbody Tubbed Out 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 16
T New Member From Maryland, Looking For Advice 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 7
T Looking For Advice - Braking Issue 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
C Looking For A Mustang, Need Advice 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 8
T New Vintage Owner Looking For Advice On Wheel Packages 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 10
D Looking For Advice On My Engine Build 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 17
1 New To Stangnet. Looking For Advice. 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 6
S Looking For Some Advice.... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
Brandon95gt Looking For Advice 95 Gt 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 18
GrandmasterK Looking For Some Header / Intake Advice Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
9 Digital Tuning New Powerjection 3, looking for tuning advice... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
C Looking At A 66 Mustang, Want Some Advice Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
C New Member Looking For Advice On Coyote 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 6
M New Guy Looking For Advice The Welcome Wagon 3
oxfordgt Looking to buy heads from MHS any advice 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 13
T Advice Needed: Looking to buy a 1996 Conv SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
mustangmike6996 looking for advice on a carb Classic Mustang Specific Tech 54
mustangmike6996 looking for advice on intake/induction setup Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
GOKBGO Looking for some reassurance/advice SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
Slo5Oh89 Looking to install Long Tube Headers. Need advice on install and if its as hard as it sounds. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
CarMichael Angelo What would you do (II) Really looking for advice here... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 21
L Saleen Looking at 06 S281. Advice Special Production 1
Z New to site, looking for advice SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
S New member, maybe new owner looking for advice 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
jruppert Looking at making some changes to my 351w roller.. Need advice 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 6
D Looking for advice from painters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
S 1966 Coupe - Looking for Radio Advice Classic Mustang Specific Tech 41
I What would you buy, looking for advice 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 29
W Looking to Change Coil Springs Need Advice 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 10