Wheels-Tires Looking for examples to help with rear wheel/tire selection

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Admittedly, I'm a ways away from actually purchasing wheels and tires for my '66. However, I'd like to get ahead of the curve and possibly get something sooner rather than later if a good deal pops up.

Long story short, I'm looking for pictures of and experiences with 1965-1966 cars that have a stock width rear with 17x8" wheels with 4.5" backspace. The rear I plan to use is wider than stock, however, I believe that the known flange-to-flange width of the stock rear end along with the 4.5" backspace can help me determine the correct backspace for a 17x8" wheel with some simple math.

From what I understand, a stock 1965-1966 rear end is 57.25" flange to flange, while the rear end I'm going to use (1994-1995 with Fox length axles) is 59.25". I'm thinking that a 17x8" with 5.5" backspace will be best, however, I'd like to see some pictures of 17x8 with 4.5" backspace to get an idea where the wheels will sit. Who knows, I may be able to go with a shallower backspace with rolled rear wheel lips.

Pictures?

Edit: anyone have experience with front wheel fitment with 17x8" wheels with a MII/IFS front suspension? Most of the reading I've done online seems to suggest that fitment issues up front come from interference with the upper control arm on cars with the stock front suspension.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

17x8 with 4.75 bs fits perfectly in back. 235/45/17 here

Attachments

• IMG_3154.PNG
    IMG_3154.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 166
17x8 w 4.75 bs gave no probs for us up front. 225's would fit better than 235's but both are ok. We had to run .250 spacers because of caliper fitnent issues but that's another story.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.JPG
    IMG_2920.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: 1 user
Not stock. This is lowered 1" all around. HD coils up front and 4.5 leafs in rear. Mustang Steve 08 GT disc brakes at every corner. Legendary wheels don't have enough space behind the spokes so that shoved us into the 1/4" spacers. Front fenders are slightly rolled. Would have been perfect without the spacers.

Not stock. This is lowered 1" all around. HD coils up front and 4.5 leafs in rear. Mustang Steve 08 GT disc brakes at every corner. Legendary wheels don't have enough space behind the spokes so that shoved us into the 1/4" spacers. Front fenders are slightly rolled. Would have been perfect without the spacers.
I should clarify that when I say "stock" I'm mostly just saying a shock tower setup that uses the stock spindle and stock or stock-style control arms. Thanks! Those pictures are very helpful.

I'm thinking a 5.5" backspace is going to work best for me out back since I'm using a rear that is 1" wider on both sides.

Thanks!

Would NOT have needed the .250 spacers with AR Torque Thrusts but DAMN those Legendary's look sweet! lol
Had to "love" on the calipers just a little, too. It was the rear of each spoke that gave us issues. the TH's have a lot more room on the back of the spoke because they bulge out a bit.