Looking for new car...and saw some cheap v6 mustangs

hale

Apr 16, 2004
Okay I am looking for another car to get after I sell my CJ-7.

I am going to be cdriving the car about 60 miles per day back and forth to school. So I need something heap and reliable. And I noticed that some older v6 mustangs always seem to be cheap.

Will a v6 'stang be a good choice?
No I won't buy a Honda or other economical FWD car so don't give me that "advice". I don't like FWD so thats not an option.

What is there to look for in these? How long do they generally last before the major problems start to occur? Are the parts pretty cheap and easy to get? What else should I be concerned with?

Just to put this out, I've never been a Ford fan or a new Mustang fan. However, I don't mind how they look and they're cheaper than a v8 camaro is going to be and foriegn sports cars are going to be too hard to work on, or too much to pay for labor. And a v6 is going to save me some on gas over the years and should be cheaper to replace parts than a v8.

My dad did have a '86 Capri 302 and man that thing had some power, just started to have lots of electrical problems so he got rid of it. I suppose it was a fine automobile.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

eh don't know where you are coming with that...but no i don't drink any water...and certainley not bottled water.
now if you want to dick around when im asking questions go for it...and i'll go elsewhere.

You'd be good with any year '94+ lasting as long as any other car so long as you maintain it. There was a lady who drove her 2000 Stang like normal after hitting a pot hole that broke the oil filter. Well, she now has a salvage yard 3.8 instead of the original. As long as that doesn't happen you'll be fine. Working on em is easy enough. All you really need is a set of ramps (unless you like using a jack and stands) and you can do all, but the major things like drivetrain stuff.

Well, you said no FWD, so that left you with a handfull of Nissans, mustangs, and camaros. It sounded like to me that you already had your mind made up thus making your post pointless. If you want great gas mileage, reliability, and affordability, buy a honda. If you wanna make pointless posts, go right ahead. I'll be right here to reply to them.

Obviously if i was asking about mustangs I haven't made up my mind. This is only logic speaking here...You seemed to leave out a handful of other RWDs, so there is still a lot of open terrority. But please if you must, explain your position as how this is pointless posting?

Who said I wanted something with great gas milage? I didn't buy the Jeep I have now for its amazing 10mpg. I didn't buy the Supra Turbo before that for its 14mpg. I would be happy around 20-25 mixed on a new car that can acutally have fun, unlike Hondas. I'm in Oklahoma and I don't expect our gas prices to go much above $2/gal in the summer and then drop in the Fall which is when I'll be driving a lot. And no if I really wanted great gas milage and a sloppy ass FWD I would go buy a Ford Festiva 5 speed....40-50mpg on the highway and I'd still have more faith in it than a Honda.

hale said:
Obviously if i was asking about mustangs I haven't made up my mind. This is only logic speaking here...You seemed to leave out a handful of other RWDs, so there is still a lot of open terrority. But please if you must, explain your position as how this is pointless posting?

Who said I wanted something with great gas milage? I didn't buy the Jeep I have now for its amazing 10mpg. I didn't buy the Supra Turbo before that for its 14mpg. I would be happy around 20-25 mixed on a new car that can acutally have fun, unlike Hondas. I'm in Oklahoma and I don't expect our gas prices to go much above $2/gal in the summer and then drop in the Fall which is when I'll be driving a lot. And no if I really wanted great gas milage and a sloppy ass FWD I would go buy a Ford Festiva 5 speed....40-50mpg on the highway and I'd still have more faith in it than a Honda.

my mustang gets pretty good gas milelage cause i drive it like a grandma when im driving it regularly. This is how i shift to save gas...
1-2-4
but it goes the same for every car basically.
i dont see any point to gun it most of the time when im on a regular road.
1st reason, i can get a ticket
2nd reason, i can get into an accident.

dont expect the v6 to b very fast though. and it depreciates pretty quick. but still a very enjoyable ride. it looks great and has decent pickup. insurance is good compared to almost any v8 car.

yes 87 turbo 5speed for a 81 6cyl softtop...was gunna keep it around to build up an offroader but yeah

and you can't drift FWD :( you didn't mention that...oh when your rear wheels lose traction in snow its a lot more fun. and the sad fact that my 81 jeep produces more horsepower than my friends honda and over twice the torque...;(