Looking for others who have the SSBrakes rear disc conversion kit...

shootshescores

May 1, 2005
At the end of last year I installed the Stainless Steel Brakes-rear disc conversion kit. After the install I noticed a decrease in braking ability, as opposed to a $700 improvement. After numerous back & forth emails with their tech department, and bleeding the brakes probably way more than necessary, I was told to give them about 200 miles to bed. This is even after going through the process of bedding them through multiple stops at different speeds.

It's been more than 300 miles now and still no improvement. The kit actually performs worse than my rear drums did. Has anybody out there installed this kit while retaining their stock front brake system? If so, what kind of results did you get?

• Sponsors (?)

I installed the rear disk brake system also didn't make any diffence in my stopping had it for over 3 yrs now no difference. For paying 700 its not worth it. To late now. Mine didn't even come with a proportioning valve, I would think that with that price they would throw one in for free.

I installed the rear disk brake system also didn't make any diffence in my stopping had it for over 3 yrs now no difference. For paying 700 its not worth it. To late now. Mine didn't even come with a proportioning valve, I would think that with that price they would throw one in for free.

I was so disappointed! That $700 would have went really far in other places on my car.
I thought it was just me! I would love to hear from others on this too.
I did find a GREAT website for some other budget-minded upgrades for the Fox though.

Check it out:
http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

i scored mine for 300 new.it didnt have a mc but i rather have the 93 cobra unit anyway.my combo is 95 booster,93 cobra mc and 73mm fronts along with the ssbc rear kit and with only 300-400 miles on the car since it was installed i noticed hardly any differnce.i used a prop.valve to adjust the bias and sill the same. phil

well what a quincidence. I was just planning on buying them. they only come in a kit for 5 lug. Are you guys running 4 lug or 5 lug. I sent them an email today about just buying a rear kit.

if you guys have a 5-lug and want to sell then let me know. pm me

im not into it for a performance gain. its mainly a looks.balance thing. I HATE the way drums look. that and i don't have to adjust disks.

can you guys post some pics?

well usually if you want the five lug you would have to do is just change the axles like you would a drum in this case you would change the disc. I don't think the actual caliper setup will change. I'm running a 4 lug on mine.

Hopefully this thread will save some people some money if they are considering updating the rear brakes. The conversion kit that I purchased still utilized the stock 4-lug axles and did not include a proportioning valve. The proportioning valvle was an upgrade. I'm actually at the point where I was thinking of replacing the brake pads provided in the kit to some Hawk HPS's to attempt to improve things. If I could do it all over I would have definitely invested the money in 73mm calipers, stainless braided hoses, steel caliper sleeves, and some performance brake pads.

Here is another upgrade kit that I found to be interesting and much less expensive.

Brake Upgrade Package, 1987-93 part #BP-1
Reduces stopping distances by 12 to 15 percent! The next best thing to Baer Claws at an affordable price. This upgrade package includes Hawk brake pads (HB-263 HPS), MM High Performance Rear Shoes, MM Stainless Steel Caliper Sleeves, and MM Stainless Steel Brake Hoses (3-hose kit). The complete MM brake upgrade package produced an average stopping distance of 114 ft from 60 mph, with the shortest distance at 98 ft (Mustang Monthly, Sept. 1993). For more information, also see our article in Super Ford, July 1994.

View attachment 315568

i scored mine for 300 new.it didnt have a mc but i rather have the 93 cobra unit anyway.my combo is 95 booster,93 cobra mc and 73mm fronts along with the ssbc rear kit and with only 300-400 miles on the car since it was installed i noticed hardly any differnce.i used a prop.valve to adjust the bias and sill the same. phil

Did you install all of these parts at the same time or did you add the SSB rear kit after you already upgraded the fronts?

I am considering adding the 73mm's up front. After the SSB rear kit fiasco I'm not sure what kind of gains can be had. Are there any noticable improvements with the 73mm's? Is it even worth the trouble?

It may be more related to the fact that the rear brakes just don't do much for stopping. If you disabled your front brakes to test, you would probably notice quite a difference!

For cheap upgrades for brakes, replace the pads (like shown above), provide some sort of cheap ducting for cooling, and replace your brake fluid with the highest quality you can find. Most people don't realize that brake fade is caused by boiling brake fluid...

-kyle

did you guys gut the stock proportioning valve and put a manual one on. if not, the stock valve is not letting enough fluid to the new brakes. The stock brake cylinder in the drums is much smaller than the piston in the new calipers... so now the new brakes are barely putting force to help stop the car.

One thing you are all not taking into consideration is drum brakes offer more braking power at lower brake fluid pressure. They have much greater brake surface area. The reasons manufacturers went to disk brakes especially on the front is to reduce brake fade and unequal left to right proportioning.

On that note, you need to use an adjustable proportioning valve, a master cylinder valved for disk brakes, and you need to modify the stock proportioning valve. I think your problem is a lack of brake fluid pressure going to the rear brakes.

did you guys gut the stock proportioning valve and put a manual one on. if not, the stock valve is not letting enough fluid to the new brakes. The stock brake cylinder in the drums is much smaller than the piston in the new calipers... so now the new brakes are barely putting force to help stop the car.
doesn't the proportioning valve goes only between one set of lines. One input one out put no two inputs for fron and rear.

On that note, you need to use an adjustable proportioning valve, a master cylinder valved for disk brakes, and you need to modify the stock proportioning valve. I think your problem is a lack of brake fluid pressure going to the rear brakes.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't you think they would supply that with the new kit, but they don't. for 700 I would think they would